wondering if you would put new chicks in with chicks that are 1wk old

_MG_2087.jpg

When I first brought my girls home at 1 week and 5 weeks (they were at my friends house for the weekend) I put them all in the same box for a bit while I set things up. The Brahma girls (older) were really scared of the babies lol

Up until this year we've used a single brooder and added chicks every weekend. So had chicks from a day or two old up to five weeks old together and seldom ever had any problems. As someone else stated, adding several at once seems to work better than only adding one or two at a time. Of course, we have a large brooder, space is everything when mixing chicks.

thats cool i think i am going to do them in to till they get most of there feathers then mix them all at ones well my two brooders are only little ones but gess they will work working so far

I put day olds with 3 week olds with zero problem all 19 in that coop are brown egg layers. In another coop I have 10 white leg horns, they are always pecking on each other yet they are all the same age. I think it depends on the breed. I am new though and do not know lots yet

Donna in Branson

yea me to the only chick i have raised was chicks for 4-H when i was in there well idk i am going to do it the way i got planed out but any help would be a good help though

I put 1 and 1/2 week old Reds in with my Rocks and Orps when they were 3 weeks and change. The older ones ran at first to avoid them, but slowly started showing the Reds who was boss of the brooder. The Reds like to hide in the corner mostly still, but when one of the older ones gets a bit bullyish, there are a couple that will stand up to them. So far, no problems; just like my wife said. (She and her mom are old hands with chickens. I'm the new guy!)

So, they've been together for just over a week. The Reds still like hanging out with each other in a neutral corner, but the older ones generally leave them alone now. I think most of the pecking order has been established. I suspect they will go through it all again when they are moved into the new coop within a few days however.

Mark

IMG_2459.jpg

Back
Top Bottom