Wondering...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by GardenGal, Mar 2, 2012.

1. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    What is it about chickens that turns normal, intelligent people into crazy people? I have a dearly loved lab, and a very special cat, but rarely feel the need to go on and on about them. But the chickens??? Complete strangers know all about our chickens! And I know I'm not alone in this obsession.

So if anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them :)

2. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    gosh you should see how people look at me sometimes...like all I can talk about is my chickens...but oh well, its a topic of great importance to us chicken people, lol, though I talk about my kids and other animals just as much as chickens...but when I first got them I was told that is all I ever talked about lol...

Enjoy them and you know what everyone here is obsessed with their chickens as much as you and I are.

3. GardenGal

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I'm happy being a chicken nut, but I'd still like to know why chickens are so addictive! My theory so far is that chickens are different than cats and dogs in two ways: they are part livestock and part wild animal, and they let you be a part of their world without becoming junior people. (Like our dogs are!)

I got to thinking about it when someone came in to our shop and I was looking for a way to stop talking about what we make and start talking about chickens! At least I'm not alone :D

4. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I agree GardenGal. I think that dogs and cats become junior people but chickens live in the barnyard. As such, they form their own colony. We can watch them and participate with them but we must enter their world. That is why they are so intriguing to me. I can go out and step into a wild bunch on birds and be a part of their world for a while - every day, several times a day.

5. GardenGal

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Isn't that so cool :)

6. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I think it's because chickens are pets that make US breakfast! teeehee

I know my co-workers are already sick of hearing about chickens! I've been talking about them for months now and today is just day ONE of chicken ownership!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, chickens are amazing once you get to know them. I know I never expected them to have their own personalities when I bought my first 8 chicks. I knew I'd name 'em, and I did. And then as they grew and matured, I saw they each had their own reactions to things, some were more "talkative" and some were more adventurous, a few were timid, and I was really surprised I could tell birds of the same breed apart.

Most of my chickens "name themselves." I don't name them until they demonstrate a separate personality.

With that said, how could we not brag about our little feathered friends?

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Chickens are addictive because the hens put something in the eggs. Scientist are trying to identify the substance. The FDA is pushing the research because they want to know what causes the euphoria in chicken owners. The plan is to duplicate the chemical, market it, and make lots and lots of money from the drug.

Seriously who can resist chicken antics?

I mean what other species can get so dramatic over an apple?

What the heck is this?
    [​IMG]

I'll have a look, says Stan.
    [​IMG]

Nope, doesn't taste like blue jean.
    [​IMG]

What's that black stuff?
    [​IMG]

Let me try! says Stan.
    [​IMG]

Is it good?
    [​IMG]

Come back here!
    [​IMG]

Stan crows just because he can.
    [​IMG]

Cardboard chicken goes in killer zombie chicken mode and attacks.
    [​IMG]

Some of the girls watch the horse make his version of 'apples'.
    [​IMG]

And a quick nap in the lap is a perfect way to end a meal.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  9. m.r.heavenlyhens

m.r.heavenlyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I love the photo story. I think also that the most addicting thing about chickens is each one's personality. I have a real hard time walking away from chicken television. Just sitting in a chair by the coop watching the soap opera unfold. That is my idea of fun

10. binza1979

binza1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    I totally agree! I thought my MIL was crazy when she first wanted chickens. I never know how addicting they would be. She started her flock, and once my husband and I moved in with her, we have added about 20 birds. Right now I have 8 in the brooder and each evening I pull up a chair and watch them interact. Chicken TV is truly the best. It is fun to watch how each one has a personality, likes and dislikes. I think so many people think that chickens are dumb, but once you own them yourself, you realize that they are far from dumb! I am a teacher and I'm sure that my poor students are tired of hearing all about my "girls."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by