Wonky Chick Face

May 11, 2020
This baby is 2 weeks old today. S/he’s eating and growing fine, but it’s like her/his head is turning into the letter S.

61AA83B9-3B4E-4508-B1E6-EDAFD57C3861.jpeg

It started with a little underbite and progressed. We definitely won’t breed it, but is there anything else I can do to help it live a happy life?

It’s name is Wampus. As in cattywampus.

You might be able to trim the beak, but unless it gets really bad, I'd leave it alone. I have a 4 week old scissor beak that I'm surprised to see doing okay. It's smaller than the rest of the birds, but it's getting by and is just as energetic as the rest of them.

I also have a wry neck chick and I had another wry neck chick that made it to adulthood just fine.

I only keep them long enough for them to get big enough to eat, though, so I'm not sure about full lifespan for these types of mutations.

This baby is 2 weeks old today. S/he’s eating and growing fine, but it’s like her/his head is turning into the letter S.

61AA83B9-3B4E-4508-B1E6-EDAFD57C3861.jpeg

It started with a little underbite and progressed. We definitely won’t breed it, but is there anything else I can do to help it live a happy life?

It’s name is Wampus. As in cattywampus.
the curve to its neck was probably result of being malpositioned and or shrink wrapped during hatch and it looks to have a mild case of scissor beak. I’ve successfully raised multiple chicks with these deformities to adulthood but they can get bullied when mixed in with normal birds. As long as it is eating and drinking and protected from bullies it will live a happy life!! like @Nabiki i cull them at approximately 8-10 weeks.

i had a female with a crossed beak last year. (we made the mistake of breeding her.) her chick had a tumour like thing on her chest. i gave her to someone i know. i have no idea how her beak turned out. her mom's beak wan't crossed to badly though.

I have a chicken with a crossed beak and a clawed eye. She and another chicken with a deformed eye were rescues from my local hatchery. They couldn't be sold, so they were offered to me (I go there a lot :oops:). If I didn't take them (of course I would) they would've been culled :(

They both live happy lives and are good layers.

Here's the one with the crossed beak.
IMG_20191123_185436.jpg

@Quailobsessed ... you got a real great heart! (aswell as many others, can't name all 🙈 )

In this harsh and dark world, I wished there would be ppl like here in the BYC community, ... life would be much more bright and lovley.

Sorry, but this gotta be said! *blushes*

Thank you. I'm just trying to do my part in helping these birds. I've seen many people in the BYC community that are doing amazing jobs at raising their feathered friends. If we all do the very best we can in caring for them, maybe others might do the same. We owe it to them (for bringing them into captivity in the first place) to give them the best life we can (no matter how long it is).

i had a female with a crossed beak last year. (we made the mistake of breeding her.) her chick had a tumour like thing on her chest. i gave her to someone i know. i have no idea how her beak turned out. her mom's beak wan't crossed to badly though.

Looking at the photo, the first I thought was there might be a tumor growing there. I hope it is just a growth anomaly though, and if it’s getting by and seems happy, it will probably turn into a wonderful pet.

Back
Top Bottom