Wonky Cochin....

howfunkyisurchicken

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Tn
I don't think I've ever posted in this section before, up until now I've never really had a reason to. So, first a picture:
86165_2011-11-03_09-31-00_33.jpg

This is Frodo- who has always been the most un-Cochiny Cochin I've ever seen (she's quite a homely girl, but I love her). Up until this past week, she's at least been healthy and energetic. Not so much these days. She pretty much stands in some corner of the run all day long looking like the picture above. If I bring back scraps or treats (or even just feed), she'll run around and eat with everyone else. Then she goes right back to standing around looking miserable. I've seen her drink and her poop looks normal. Things I've never seen her do- preen (as you can see in th pic, she's very scraggly and dirty), take a dust bath, scratch- she doesn't seem to do normal chicken things. When let out to free range, she finds an obscure part of the yard and continues wallowing in her misery. She isn't picked on (she also spends alot of time huddled under someones wing like she's cold), I've had no predator issues, no lice/mites. I've been thinking about worming her (which I did in the spring), but I'm afraid to do ANYTHING to stress her. I brought her inside last week and put her in the brooder with a heat lamp and she FREAKED! So back out she went. I've been considering culling her, because I don't know what else to do and she looks like she really feels terrible (I feel like she's suffering and has a low quality of life). I've also been giving her vitamins and special treats. When I pick her up (she loves to be cuddled) she feels very skinny to me. Any ideas what could be up with her? If not, would you cull her? Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to try to give as much insight as possible. Thank you so much in advance. Just to add: I will be doing any and all treatment at home. The vet is not an option for me. I'm fully prepared to do what needs to be done for her, including putting her down if that's what's best
sad.png

Go to the vet, and get some Albon. What you are describing fits the exact same issue I had with Miss Isa... I took her and a poop sample to my vet, cuz I was worried she might have something that would infect the rest of the birds... First time with chickens.... Well anyway, turns out she had an infected gizzard. She'd eat and all, but not enough, and would just stand there in a corner, or in the middle of the yard, not moving all huddled in on herself. She lost weight as well. In 2 days, less actually, after 2 albon treatments a day, she was better. It only cost me 43 for the vet visit and the script. My vets cool thou. He has chickens and is not afraid to see them. Might need an "exotic" bird vet... She's also gotten quite big.

Quote:
No icky smell- she just smells chickeny if that makes sense. No weezing, gurgling or odd noises (thank goodness!).

Quote:
I cannot take her to a vet, the only vet around here that would even see a chicken (or in the case I was calling about, a turkey) is a small animal vet (mice, guinea pigs, ect) and said she didn't know much about poultry. Plus she would charge me an arm and a leg. Is there anything comparable to the albon I could get at the co-op? Did they tell you what the likely cause of the infection was? Thank you guys so much for the quick responses, so helpful. That's why I love this forum
love.gif

Quote:
She may be wormy considering she feels skinny to you. Instead of a full dose, you may try a half dose just for her. If you have any broad spectrum antibiotics on hand, perhaps dosing her for the next four to five days may also be in order. Is she laying yet or do you know? It could be she's PMSing before the egg laying machine cranks over.

She isn't laying yet, she's a 6 month old LF. I guess I'll worm her again and see if that helps, I've never had an issue with worms so I just worm everyone in the spring to be safe. Everyone else looks perfectly fluffy and healthy
hu.gif
I'll slip her some antibiotics as well. Thank you
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom