1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Woo hoo I got a roo!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kinnip, Jun 20, 2008.

1. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Carmen the Blue Andalusian is now known as Carmine. Aside from his mammoth size, he's growing little spur bumps. I can't wait to hear him crow! I hear it's really pitiful at first. He's so funny facing off with the cats. He runs up to the edge of the brooder with his head stretched in the air and sticks his face out at them. "Ya want some cat, huh? huh? I can take a cat, pht." I wasn't planning on roos, but now I'm really looking forward to it, however I have no idea what to do with them. I have some more un-sexed chickies on the way. Since they're different breeds, I'd like to keep them all. How do I keep multiple roos? Where should I keep the roos? It looks like most folks just run them with the hens. Do I lock them up at night? Do I lock them up separate from the hens? Also, please answer any other questions that might need answering, but I don't know enough to ask yet. Thanks.

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    If they're raised together.,.. they MAY establish a pecking order that allows for them all to live together. OR you can put them in a bachelor pad , but sometimes they will turn on the lowest totem roo and mate him to death [​IMG] I have no idea how often this happens.... but I have heard of people having it happen. Or you could build more coops! And get more hens! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Love that last idea. I already have two Nigerian bucklings working on the former. I don't think I can take any more of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by