WOO HOO! my ducks started laying!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NewChickenMom, Nov 2, 2008.

1. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    i have a pair of crested pekins and a pair of pekins that have been mating for a couple months now so i was hoping they would lay soon. i'd been looking everywhere for eggs, then today i was cleaning the barn and found two eggs in a nest! woo hoo! i already put them in the incubator so i dont have any pictures. i'm so excited! now if i can only figure out who it is

2. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I know your excitement well, I just found three eggs two days ago, up to five duck eggs total. I honestly didn't think they would lay until spring!

3. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    me either!! i'm stoked! hopfully these eggs aren't the lethal crested ones, i'll be sad if i don't get one of my first duck eggs to hatch

4. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    So happy for you!!!

Do hope all goes A-1. If not, you'll get better with time!

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they? I have 4 ducks and they are all feathered, how long does it take?

6. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Yes, how old? My blue swedish and khaki campbells are 7 months and we haven't seen an egg. I've been looking too!

7. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    yes how old my ducks were born 4th of july or there abouts and I need their eggs for baking for the holidays

8. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    thats great! [​IMG]

I am patiently waiting for my girls to start laying (they're JUST turning 4 months old on the 7th, and then the 14th of this month, so I've got a few more weeks to wait, generally, ducks lay inbetween the ages of 5 and 8 months of age, one of my mallards(RIP Bandit [​IMG] ) layed her very first egg at 6 months old, and didn't lay again, until ab9 months, w layed an intire clutch and went broody, sadly none of the eggs were fertile.

I love crested pekins, I plan to get one of two next year possibly as well, as a crested mallard to add to my lines.

9. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:That's what I'm hoping for too!

10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yeah! duck eggs! woo hoooooo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by