Woobly gosling

djsfarmjoyables

Chirping
Oct 26, 2021
I have 4 6 week old crested Chinese goslings. Had them since they were a day old. I noticed 1 with erratic behavior since the first day.
She would raise up her head and shake it like something was stuck in her throat. Fast forward to yesterday and she couldn't walk straight and kept flopping over, almost like a seizure.
Vet prescribed antibiotics. Don't think that's it. I also don't think she's going to make it. Just wondering if anyone had this happen to their goslings and what could it be?

I raise Pilgrim geese, and have raised white Chinese in the past. I have not experienced the symptoms you describe with my geese, but would consider vitamin deficiency or exposure to toxins as possible causes, if I saw this in my own geese of this age.

Neurological issues could also be a possibility, since you said you saw unusual behavior from very early on. Did you find anything in her throat when she looked like she was choking? The only time I've seen a gosling do that is when they actually are trying to expel something.

What do you feed your goslings? And what condition did the vet tell you the antibiotics were for?

I raise Pilgrim geese, and have raised white Chinese in the past. I have not experienced the symptoms you describe with my geese, but would consider vitamin deficiency or exposure to toxins as possible causes, if I saw this in my own geese of this age.

Neurological issues could also be a possibility, since you said you saw unusual behavior from very early on. Did you find anything in her throat when she looked like she was choking? The only time I've seen a gosling do that is when they actually are trying to expel something.

What do you feed your goslings? And what condition did the vet tell you the antibiotics were for?
Her nose was running quite a bit, so the antibiotics. I am giving her chicken food mash with Vitamin drench and niacin. They've all received niacin since day 1.

Her nose was running quite a bit, so the antibiotics. I am giving her chicken food mash with Vitamin drench and niacin. They've all received niacin since day 1.
You need to get her on a waterfowl start immediately. Chicken feed is formulated for adult chickens, a growing gosling will basically slowly starve on it.
Manna Pro and Purina flock raiser are two options you can usually find at tractor supply.

I don’t know what’s in your vitamin drench but goslings and ducklings don’t just need niacin’s, they need a lot of all of the Bs as well as vitamin E and A.

You need to get her on a waterfowl start immediately. Chicken feed is formulated for adult chickens, a growing gosling will basically slowly starve on it.
Manna Pro and Purina flock raiser are two options you can usually find at tractor supply.

I don’t know what’s in your vitamin drench but goslings and ducklings don’t just need niacin’s, they need a lot of all of the Bs as well as vitamin E and A.
We have other goslings that are 100% fine.
I will get the new feed. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom