Woobly gosling

We have other goslings that are 100% fine.
I will get the new feed. Thank you!
In my experience, some goslings seem to have difficulty assimilating certain vitamins/nutrients than other goslings do (another possibility is that they may not consume as much, if it's in their food and everyone is eating out of the same feeder, for example), so even among goslings that are all eating the same food, some may develop normally and an outlier may not. I've personally found Poultry Nutri-Drench (in water) effective for treating conditions like wry neck, and it has been helpful with sudden onset of leg weakness and/or balance issues.

Best wishes for your gosling's recovery!

Is there a trick to making them take liquid niacin ? I want to give mine B complex for weak legs but heard it's easy to aspirate them.He hates being held.
How old is your gosling?

You can mix it with water, it will dilute it though and depending on the gosling they may not like the taste and avoid drinking it.

Using a syringe orally or by injection is the only way to ensure they get a direct dose. Unless you have assistance and some experience I strongly advise not trying injection. Orally administration does carry the risk of aspiration, but as the bird gets larger it’s safer to administer. Really small goslings are really easy to aspirate because they’re so tiny.

Just worried I'll shoot it down the middle accidentally trying to give it to him by myself. Having to put him thru this every day stresses me out. Heres a video of him(on the left)

Last edited:
How old is your gosling?

You can mix it with water, it will dilute it though and depending on the gosling they may not like the taste and avoid drinking it.

Using a syringe orally or by injection is the only way to ensure they get a direct dose. Unless you have assistance and some experience I strongly advise not trying injection. Orally administration does carry the risk of aspiration, but as the bird gets larger it’s safer to administer. Really small goslings are really easy to aspirate because they’re so tiny.
Thank you I have a 5 month old pair I rescued and plan to rehome (The female doesn't have an issue)It being bitter is going to be a problem.

Thank you I have a 5 month old pair I rescued and plan to rehome (The female doesn't have an issue)It being bitter is going to be a problem.
He’s big/ old enough to take a dose through a 12 ml syringe. I like using the larger size because I’ve had smaller syringes almost disappear down a goose’s throat, and the bigger size is easier to get it far enough down the throat that it lessens the likelyhood of getting it or the liquid down the wrong tube.

It also helps if you hold the bill straight up in the air for a few moments after giving them the vitamins so that they don’t try to spit it out, sometimes it’s when they try to spit it out that they aspirate it by accident.

If it makes you feel better one of my geese did aspirate around 3 ml of a liquid antibiotic once because I administered it with a 6ml syringe which didn’t go far enough down her throat and she panicked and got the full dose down into her lung by accident. Any liquid is dangerous in the lungs but she did survive. She lost her voice for a few days and was gurgling but she was back to normal after a week.

Just worried I'll shoot it down the middle accidentally trying to give it to him by myself. Having to put him thru this every day stresses me out. Heres a video of him(on the left)
Also if I can give a suggestion, also get him a multivitamin also, a lot of times if they’re deficient in one thing they’re deficient in a lot of things.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom