Woobly gosling

My cockerel has gone after the gander for chasing the hens away from the food but he still does it.
Also if I can give a suggestion, also get him a multivitamin also, a lot of times if they’re deficient in one thing they’re deficient in a lot of things.
I've got supplements for him too but they're difficult to give by myself.I wish they were as easy to entice to eat as chickens lol

How old is your gosling?

You can mix it with water, it will dilute it though and depending on the gosling they may not like the taste and avoid drinking it.

Using a syringe orally or by injection is the only way to ensure they get a direct dose. Unless you have assistance and some experience I strongly advise not trying injection. Orally administration does carry the risk of aspiration, but as the bird gets larger it’s safer to administer. Really small goslings are really easy to aspirate because they’re so tiny.
Thank you very much.I'll try and get my cousin to help me in the mornings give him his meds.

How I give meds to birds is by guiding them to a corner “if they don’t like being handled.”
Then I grab them and squat over their back, I’m. Or sitting on them, I’m just using my body and legs to secure them in place.
With one hand I apply pressure to the corners of the goose’s mouth until they open.
with the other hand I insert the syringe as far down their right side of the throat and hit the plunger, or release the pill.

The faster it’s done the easier it acfually is, and it’s less stressful for the goose.

You can also train them to not consider it a big deal and not fighting you by giving them a treat just before and just after.

How I give meds to birds is by guiding them to a corner “if they don’t like being handled.”
Then I grab them and squat over their back, I’m. Or sitting on them, I’m just using my body and legs to secure them in place.
With one hand I apply pressure to the corners of the goose’s mouth until they open.
with the other hand I insert the syringe as far down their right side of the throat and hit the plunger, or release the pill.

The faster it’s done the easier it acfually is, and it’s less stressful for the goose.

You can also train them to not consider it a big deal and not fighting you by giving them a treat just before and just after.
I'll try that thanks!

When my female sees me coming to lock her up at night she goes in without a fuss but my gander makes me catch him. I've decided the best time to give him meds is when I catch him before bed so I only have to catch him once a day.Thanks for the tip on straddling him to make it easier, it helps!!

In my experience, some goslings seem to have difficulty assimilating certain vitamins/nutrients than other goslings do (another possibility is that they may not consume as much, if it's in their food and everyone is eating out of the same feeder, for example), so even among goslings that are all eating the same food, some may develop normally and an outlier may not. I've personally found Poultry Nutri-Drench (in water) effective for treating conditions like wry neck, and it has been helpful with sudden onset of leg weakness and/or balance issues.

Best wishes for your gosling's recovery!
Ok, so I am giving her duck feed with niacin, b complex. Vitamin E, a round of antibiotics, (now on probiotic) .
She is still wobbly, looks like she has swollen cheeks, I don't know what else to do.
She just had a bath.
20230806_092933.jpg

Back
Top Bottom