Woobly gosling

Ok, so I am giving her duck feed with niacin, b complex. Vitamin E, a round of antibiotics, (now on probiotic) .
She is still wobbly, looks like she has swollen cheeks, I don't know what else to do.
She just had a bath.
View attachment 3601092
While I know it can be disheartening not to see appreciable improvement yet, it can take time, even if the supplements and/or medications are addressing the cause of your gosling's issues.

Have you considered the possibility of neurological involvement related to the crest? This thread discusses it in the context of crested ducks. Did your vet mention it?

Ok, so I am giving her duck feed with niacin, b complex. Vitamin E, a round of antibiotics, (now on probiotic) .
She is still wobbly, looks like she has swollen cheeks, I don't know what else to do.
She just had a bath.
View attachment 3601092
@FoodFreedomNow is right, it can take awhile. Often times it’s around 3 or 4 weeks before symptoms start to show signs of improvement.
If she isn’t declining or worsening that’s a good sign that something is working.

The only thing you could try to do is put her on an antibiotic, corid, or maybe worm her, sometimes if there’s an intestinal Infection or parasite it can interfere with nutrient absorption and cause wobbly legs and then for them to lose their ability to walk completely. One of my ganders periodically gets the “wobbles“ and unless I treat him with Tylosin and metronidazole he’ll worsen to the point he can no longer stand, so I suspect that‘s what happens to him.

However there’s some symptoms if infection or parasites are to blame, usually reluctance to eat, abnormal droppings (bloody, foamy, mucous, salmon colored, all white or black), or hard, hot, dry droppings, difficulty swallowing or frequent swallowing, a bubbling sound coming from the abdomen, or a hard enlarged feeling intestine in the back end, and sometimes gaping.

If you’re not seeing any of those symptoms it probably isn’t related to an infection and parasites and is more likely a vitamin deficiency or some sort of neurological issue Like FoodFreedomNoow suggested.

If she is vitamin deficient her immune system isn’t functioning at it‘s best so she could also come down with something as a result, that could be what’s going on with the swollen cheeks, upper respiratory illnesses in birds can cause facial swelling, If you see snicking, sneezing, bubbles in eyes, head shaking, or hear a slight wheeze that could be what’s going on.

another could be some fluid retention, if she was emaciated she’ll get a little fluid retention through the body which is a sign the body is starting to recover and repair itself. usually it’s more noticeable in the lower abdomen which will feel “gooey.”

There’s also viruses that can affect the nervous system but most affect the upper respiratory system also so unless you’ve seen a runny nose, coughing, sneezing it’s probably not the case. Most are fatal or nearly anyway. She most likely wouldn’t be alive still if that was the case.

Something pressing on the sciatic nerve or vertebra can also cause wobbly legs or full paralysis. Without x rays the only way to really tell the difference between that and whatever else could be causing it is to test her reflex response by holding the tail, then her toes and applying pressure until she pulls away. If she doesn’t pull away she has reduced feeling or none at all and something’s blocking the nerve signaling her brain.
This does not apply to neurological illnesses affecting the brain directly.

@FoodFreedomNow is right, it can take awhile. Often times it’s around 3 or 4 weeks before symptoms start to show signs of improvement.
If she isn’t declining or worsening that’s a good sign that something is working.

The only thing you could try to do is put her on an antibiotic, corid, or maybe worm her, sometimes if there’s an intestinal Infection or parasite it can interfere with nutrient absorption and cause wobbly legs and then for them to lose their ability to walk completely. One of my ganders periodically gets the “wobbles“ and unless I treat him with Tylosin and metronidazole he’ll worsen to the point he can no longer stand, so I suspect that‘s what happens to him.

However there’s some symptoms if infection or parasites are to blame, usually reluctance to eat, abnormal droppings (bloody, foamy, mucous, salmon colored, all white or black), or hard, hot, dry droppings, difficulty swallowing or frequent swallowing, a bubbling sound coming from the abdomen, or a hard enlarged feeling intestine in the back end, and sometimes gaping.

If you’re not seeing any of those symptoms it probably isn’t related to an infection and parasites and is more likely a vitamin deficiency or some sort of neurological issue Like FoodFreedomNoow suggested.

If she is vitamin deficient her immune system isn’t functioning at it‘s best so she could also come down with something as a result, that could be what’s going on with the swollen cheeks, upper respiratory illnesses in birds can cause facial swelling, If you see snicking, sneezing, bubbles in eyes, head shaking, or hear a slight wheeze that could be what’s going on.

another could be some fluid retention, if she was emaciated she’ll get a little fluid retention through the body which is a sign the body is starting to recover and repair itself. usually it’s more noticeable in the lower abdomen which will feel “gooey.”

There’s also viruses that can affect the nervous system but most affect the upper respiratory system also so unless you’ve seen a runny nose, coughing, sneezing it’s probably not the case. Most are fatal or nearly anyway. She most likely wouldn’t be alive still if that was the case.

Something pressing on the sciatic nerve or vertebra can also cause wobbly legs or full paralysis. Without x rays the only way to really tell the difference between that and whatever else could be causing it is to test her reflex response by holding the tail, then her toes and applying pressure until she pulls away. If she doesn’t pull away she has reduced feeling or none at all and something’s blocking the nerve signaling her brain.
This does not apply to neurological illnesses affecting the brain directly.
She had been doing better, but her symptoms suddenly intensified. She would only walk backwards, act dizzy, flop over. Her legs literally won't stop moving.
I have since gave her more antibiotics and vitamins.she resting now.

Back
Top Bottom