wood ashes and mites

redoak

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Russia, NY
Spring is coming, so I was reading one of my gardening books and the book mentioned saving some wood ashes for your chickens to give themselves dust baths in, to help get rid of mites. Are wood ashes more effective then just dirt baths for helping control mites? Also what other "organic" solutions for mites do other chicken owners use? Thanks in advance for any help/ideas.

9 buff orpingtons chicks coming in a few weeks (8 hens, 1 rooster)

Hi, wood ashes smother mites, make sure if you use the ashes to keep them in a dry place.
You can search the forum for food grade DE (not sure of the correct spelling,lol) You can buy DE online or luck out & find a place local to buy it.
smile.png

yes keep the wood ashes dry, hardwood ashes+water=lye.

I usesevin dust 5% and adams flea and tick spray, I am 100% convinced they work, I have not seen enough proof that DE works.

mike

My grandmother told me about wood ashes and my chickens love it. Do keep the ashes dry, because once wet, it turns into lye. Although once they are mixed with the dirt and it happens to rain upon the patch, I don't worry about it any more.
Other birds love wood ashes too. Some will eat the wet ashes. It provides them with needed nutrients.

Thanks on the tip about wood ashes! I've yet to discover mites, but since I have a ton
of wood ashes right now I'm going to give some to the chickens. Does it work as a dust bath would? It's hard finding dust when there's 3 ft of snow on the ground!

Back
Top Bottom