Wood coop help

Mkhobs

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2022
Hi ya'll! Happy Friday! I recently put a roof on my enclosed run (attached to the coop), and living in FL, the rain is frequent. I noticed last night after a days worth of rain that on one side had water dripping down 1 side of the coop and a little inside the coop. My coop was bought from a friend who built it, and its pretty solid. However, there is a small gap between some of the wood boards. The water isn't collecting on the bottom of the inside the coop, but definitely soaked one wall and adds moisture to the inside. Should I plan to throw up some plywood on the inside? Is there a way to keep water from soaking into wood? My temp plan is to take a shower curtain liner, cut it to size and staple it in since its getting "cold" this weekend and to hopefully keep the rain out until I figure out a more permanent fix. Any advice or creativity is appreciated.

Sounds like the roof overhang might not be enough
It's more of an issue of the part of the yard its in, it drained slight downward therefore coming down the wall. I'm trying to figure out a way to fix it. The roof actually works, its just the one area I need to revisit.

It's more of an issue of the part of the yard its in, it drained slight downward therefore coming down the wall. I'm trying to figure out a way to fix it. The roof actually works, its just the one area I need to revisit.
Pics would really help. If there's water coming down the wall, I'd think (like the other poster) that the roof needs more overhang or that the roof isn't pitched enough. Sounds like that isn't the problem, so more info and pics would help.

And I totally get what you're saying about location. I've had problems with drainage after a heavy rain where my coop is now. We are moving the chickens come spring.

Ok all-here is a photo of my concern. The actual roof of the coop is extended over the run, but the clear panel is covering the run area and a little under the coop roof. The circled part is where the water is coming down the wall. I threw a tarp over it to minimize the water. It looks like it’s sliding down that top and down the side since it’s not 100% level, close but not quite. Should I rethink the clear panels? It wasn’t doing this before I put them on. Suggestions as to how to cover a flat run?

The gaps in the wood I THINK can be filled in with caulking or silicone. But suggestions welcome.

NOTE: the wall had dried in this photo, but it was soaked yesterday.
FC73D48E-FD59-420B-B9EF-71A0EAE8F33D.jpeg
85AE23E3-8885-4BA4-A815-6EC6DAA07263.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom