Wood mulch in a run?

Yeah. There is just one corner that the water seems to collect...and reek.

I might see if home depo has that mulch you posted and just use it in that corner.

Last edited:
Why not the shavings in the house as bedding and why be concerned about the outside uncovered ground? :idunno

I’m worried about the stagnant water becoming unhealthy for the ducks to noodle in and of course the smell. It’s not too bad, but I don’t ever want to get to a point where neighbors complain. I’m just not sure the pine shavings will be enough to handle the puddle.

here is the problem.
0A88405D-FD9D-41BE-A37F-5C2D0A6AB512.jpeg

My avian vet told me not to use wood shavings or mulch of any kind when I was having issues with bumbles. She told me to have dirt or grass only in their aviary, no rocks either. And to use only hay or straw for bedding in their barn room. I was having constant issues with bumblefoot before I followed this advice, and when I switched 3 years ago I haven't had a bumble since.

I do have a HUGE aviary, divided into 2 sections so the grass can grow back. And the hay/straw inside their room needs to be changed weekly or it molds.

Obviously, some people are using mulch with no problems. But if I use even pine bedding just for sleeping my ducks gets huge sores on their feet.

I’m worried about the stagnant water becoming unhealthy for the ducks to noodle in and of course the smell. It’s not too bad, but I don’t ever want to get to a point where neighbors complain. I’m just not sure the pine shavings will be enough to handle the puddle.

here is the problem. View attachment 1955576
Can you install a drainage pipe in that corner? I'd worry about the water getting funky, too.

Life with ducks often feels like trying to figure out one muddy poopy mess after another...

Well next spring I am going to build a new pond, instead of using the baby pool, that will have a drain pipe leaning out of the rim. I think that’s going to be a huge help.

but until then..

Any way you can add some kind of drain system? When we get a lot of rain and around the bucket area gets yucky I put white vinegar into the water buckets to clean them and pour that water over the area I want to clean up. It does help and it’s safe for the birds.

Back
Top Bottom