1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wood Shavings save for ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducklove334, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a big bag of Aspen shavings I'm never going to use for anything (was for my mice). but since we don't have much hay I was thinking about putting the shavings down in the pen and in the nest spots, but I didn't know if them eating them would hurt them or not??

2. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    I donʻt know for sure about ducks, but chicks canʻt be bedded on cedar shavings. Most small critter shavings are cedar based to cut down on odors, so you might want to be careful. The aromatic oil in cedar is harmful to poultry.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use pine shavings in my ducks nest boxes.

4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    no cadar shavings, but everything else is good

5. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

MY OPINION ONLY is that mixed no more than one fourth of the total(cedar shavings to pine)there is no detrimental effect on the health of the adult animal. I remember reading this somewhere and have done it but cannot remember my original source of information.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Do you mean ceader shavings? Ive read in the poultry press you can mix 1 bag of ceader shavings to 3 bags of pine shavings, and it is fine to keep the bugs away, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by