Wood Stove?

Quote:
gig.gif
I'll give up ALL his weekends till spring.
gig.gif

I think I've heard something very similiar every year.

I'm not very smart for she says we're short of money (why I cut wood to save $$) since kid's college bill is always there but yet there's NEVER a $$ problem when she and daughter go shopping. $$ for shopping, eating out, etc...
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
gig.gif
I'll give up ALL his weekends till spring.
gig.gif

I think I've heard something very similiar every year.

I'm not very smart for she says we're short of money (why I cut wood to save $$) since kid's college bill is always there but yet there's NEVER a $$ problem when she and daughter go shopping. $$ for shopping, eating out, etc...
wink.png

gig.gif
I see your house is run the same as ours! Works well!
gig.gif

I have a woodstove with a blower and it is the kind that draws air from outside and heats it up and blows it into the house. It heats the whole upstairs well- especially the kitchen, dining room and living room and the uspstairs is about 1400 square feet. I have a stove in the basement which is another 1400 square feet but I don't use it because we are rarely in the basement. I want to put a blower on that stove that puts air directly into the vents that go through the house because the stove is HUGE.

By the way, do they even have trees in Nebraska? You may have to burn corn husks.
gig.gif

Quote:
smack.gif
We have one of those HUGE things in the basement - its 30 something years old, I'm terrified to use it, its not connected right now (I think it might have come off the ark) - but the thought of having a fire in the basement scares me. I never go down there - its creepy in the basement!
th.gif

Edit to add: we have over 100 trees on our property. But shhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone that there are trees here.
We live pretty close to a forest as well
big_smile.png
I think its the Halsey forest.

Last edited:
If your husband has never cut wood before, how many weekends will you give up to cut and haul wood?

It takes me about 4 hours to get 1 face cord (8 ft long by 4 feet tall pile). This includes cutting down and cutting up the tree, hauling it out of the woods with a wheelbarrow, splitting it with a go-devil, and loading it into the truck.

Make sure you get a good saw

And just as important get some good chaps and a hard hat.​

Quote:
smack.gif
We have one of those HUGE things in the basement - its 30 something years old, I'm terrified to use it, its not connected right now (I think it might have come off the ark) - but the thought of having a fire in the basement scares me. I never go down there - its creepy in the basement!
th.gif

Edit to add: we have over 100 trees on our property. But shhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone that there are trees here.
We live pretty close to a forest as well
big_smile.png
I think its the Halsey forest.

Some of those older stoves are great! I know of several that are outstanding. My basement isn't creepy- I just don't have enough furniture at the moment to furnish it so there it sets as a storage area. I cut 8 loads of firewood this year and I'm hoping it's enough to make it through the winter. Last year we were moving in and we ran out before winter was over and had to buy two cords.

We heat our 2 story w/ a basement 3000 sq ft home with a woodstove only. And we LOVE it! The heat is so much warmer than electric, and it smells heavenly. I think woodstove smoke is part of what makes fall smell like fall ~ ;-D

We got one of those very large Defiant woodstoves, and it has a catalitic combustion chamber in it, so it also burns the smoke, which means it is very very economical in it's wood usage as well. You can turn down the air flow to almost nill and a full load of wood will last you all night long.

Also, as to installation, we just looked it up online as to how to do it, checked our local fire safety codes, and did the job ourselves.

It was the best $2000 ever spent. Paid for itself the first year, as we were spending over $400 per month in the winter for electric furnace heat. Not to mention, we were able to get a tax discount for either 4 or 5 yrs after purchase, since it was a new catalitic type.

As to wood costs ~ even at the very high cost of $150 per cord, it costs us less to run the woodstove, and we usually run it from early October to Mid April. That translates into about 5 cord of wood, & $750, highest possible wood costs. Now that $150 per cord is if we are lazy, sick or feeling wealthy, because it comes delivered, blocked & split. If we go get a permit from the Forest & Game, we have to pay $10 per cord ( & you can maximize it at 6 cord, so $60 there), plus the rental of a U-haul trailer at $30 per day ( use for two whole days, and you only have to pay $22 per day) plus the gas to get to the cutting areas. This year gas was high, so it cost $92. Plus chainsaw oil, & gas, another $15.
That adds up to $60 + $44 + $92 + $15 = $211. Divide that by the 5.6 cord of wood we brought down, & you have $37.68 per cord of wood.

That's just not too dang shabby, if you ask me. :-D Especially when you consider that had we used the furnace, it would have cost $2400, ANd we would have been colder, because that furnace just can't heat the house like a good healthy fire.

A note on best wood to burn ~ ash, hardwoods, but NOT pine, if you can help it ~ pine is very sappy, and clogs your pipes faster with creosote, so you are up on the roof cleaning the pipes more often. If you are careful of the wood you burn, you won't have to clean more than once before woodstove season starts & once after it's over. Also, pine has a much faster burn, so you go through far more wood.

One last note ~ since my husband works with wood, we also have lots of kiln-dried end cuts to use as kindling ~ it's very effective, burns extremely clean, but VERY VERY hot ~ I don't reccomend using straight kiln-dried endcuts, as you may melt out or bend some of your internal ironworks in your stove.

Also, we make these excellent firestarters ~ just save any old paper egg flats, fill them with sawdust, then melt some parafin wax, old crayons, half-burnt candles, etc. together, & pour into the sawdust eggcups. Let them harden, and you will have the easiest way to start a fire EVER. They light immediately, and keep going long enough to get any bit of kindling & such going to get the larger logs going. Just delightful!
~Red

edited to add ~ we also use a fan to help move the air ~ we are cheap, and just stick an old circular fan behind the wood stove ~ better would be to install fans, most stoves have connetors on the back for yout o screw in fans. Those are electric, however, you can obviously still warm the house well regardless of whether you have electricity or not ( as in a power outage.)

Last edited:
Great info - thanks redhead.

I need to go see what the name make etc is on the silly thing in the basement. And figure out how to get it checked out to make sure it works well enough.

Back
Top Bottom