Wood type for Coops and Treadle

Tomcoll67

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 4, 2014
HI,
I am reconditioning my shed and turning it into a coop for my girls.I plan to take out the floor and place hardware cloth under it then up the walls with wood over it for the walls. I am doing this to keep mice, snakes, and vermin out while not exposing the girls to the cloth. I also am placing Hardware cloth from outside the coop around the whole house. I plan to use my existing coop as an addition to the new coop and am taking the back out of it and cutting into the new coop for entrance and exit form cop into the run.

My question is what type of wood should I use? I do plan on chicken friendly stain, and I think I was told not to use pressure treated wood.
Please help as I wish to begin this weekend. Once I am finished, I will post pictures.
Thank you

I don't think you really need that much hardware cloth. It seems like one layer is plenty. And if you are in a warmer climate, it may be all you need for part of the walls.

Pressure treated wood is fine these days; the chemiccals used to treat it have been changed from the arsenic and other poisons they used to use. But you only need to go to the exense of pressure treated where the wood will touuch the ground. You can pretty much use any type of paint or stain these days, as well. Just be sure it is fully cured before putting the birds in.

Back
Top Bottom