Woodchuck? What could it be?

chrisa7584

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2017
Lost a chicken today. Full size. There was a 3 inch hole dug under the fence of the run. Chicken had some wounds on its belly but nowhere near the head. Chicken was found in tact. Lots of feathers. Looked real beat up and bloody. Another bird got beat up but is still alive. No egg shells or broken shells. We give the hens fresh corn and veggies. Could it be a woodchuck or ground hog that killed a hen defending her coop? Is this even possible? Happened during the day time so thinking it wouldn't be a fox, coon or opossum. Thanks for any feedback!

Lost a chicken today. Full size. There was a 3 inch hole dug under the fence of the run. Chicken had some wounds on its belly but nowhere near the head. Chicken was found in tact. Lots of feathers. Looked real beat up and bloody. Another bird got beat up but is still alive. No egg shells or broken shells. We give the hens fresh corn and veggies. Could it be a woodchuck or ground hog that killed a hen defending her coop? Is this even possible? Happened during the day time so thinking it wouldn't be a fox, coon or opossum. Thanks for any feedback!
It is not likely that it was a groundhog since they are vegetarians. As I recall a groundhog makes a much bigger hole than a 3" diameter hole.

Fox are often daytime hunters while raccoons and opossums are more nocturnal. There are other predators such as weasels that I have seen in daylight hours.

Chicken wasn't eaten. Could it have been after the eggs or veggies and just beat the chicken to death? I read that they can get pretty hostile if threatened.

Chicken wasn't eaten. Could it have been after the eggs or veggies and just beat the chicken to death? I read that they can get pretty hostile if threatened.
I really doubt it. I grew up in groundhog country. They can get pretty hostile if cornered but their first reaction is to dive down their hole.

Do you live near any water source, like a pond, river, or stream?
I wonder if it was a weasel or mink. They kill things just for the fun of it so they usually just rip the bird apart and don't eat it.
They're awful!

Do you live near any water source, like a pond, river, or stream?
I wonder if it was a weasel or mink. They kill things just for the fun of it so they usually just rip the bird apart and don't eat it.
They're awful!

I live probably 5 miles from any water source. Never seen a weasel ever here. A woodchuck has been seen and heard in the backyard. House is on a wooded lot so it's possible a fox or coon but the chicken was intact, just a couple wounds on its belly. Whatever got it wasn't looking to eat it. At first I thought dog but the hole is awfully small.

I really doubt it. I grew up in groundhog country. They can get pretty hostile if cornered but their first reaction is to dive down their hole.

Thank you for your reply! Just so weird it was in the daytime and didn't eat the bird, just killed it!

Thank you for your reply! Just so weird it was in the daytime and didn't eat the bird, just killed it!
I had a coyote come into my yard in the middle of the day and kill half of my guinea keets. so I agree that many predators will come to find food anytime of the day or night. That being said, with the small holes you describe, I would think weasel. I've seen a weasel wandering near my house in broad daylight a few times just within the last week. One day, it was so curious it came within about 3 feet from me when I was walking my dogs.

Welcome to the BYC sorry you lost a chicken . Not a whistle pig . Weasel most likely water source doesn't matter . Weasels don't need a great deal of water to survive . But even a weasel leaves a track . Tracking varmints is something everyone with chickens and other farm animals should do as a normal part of their routine . After every rain any where there is bare dirt look for sign . They are always there. They just don't always cause a problem .

Back
Top Bottom