Woods Fresh-Air coop build

Pics
4’ of snow? You must either be in the Keewenaw or somewhere near Munising!

4’ is tall but the under-coop area will be nice for them. I’m thinking ours will only be a couple feet elevated, but we’re also in Iron County so significantly less snow. Our chickens dont mind snow anyway so long as they have some hay to walk on.
You nailed it 😉 - Keweenaw. Our chickens went out in the snow quite a bit this year, but I had to shovel them out. It was a LOT sometimes 😂

For those of you with this style coop, did you put your windows where the plans show: one on the front scratch shed and one mid coop across from the door?

Im considering putting them both on the front scratch shed and none in the middle of the coop. I cant think of a good reason why not, but figured I would check before building.

You nailed it 😉 - Keweenaw. Our chickens went out in the snow quite a bit this year, but I had to shovel them out. It was a LOT sometimes 😂
I feel for you up there! I grew up in Munising and know all about snow. Living in Iron County has its advantages (significantly longer growing season and more wildlife) but damn it gets cold here! Didn’t know you could experience -35 degrees south of the arctic, but I was wrong! Snowing here now, but hopefully this is the last we will see of the stuff until about November. Ive already said that twice this “spring” though, so we will see haha

For those of you with this style coop, did you put your windows where the plans show: one on the front scratch shed and one mid coop across from the door?

Im considering putting them both on the front scratch shed and none in the middle of the coop. I cant think of a good reason why not, but figured I would check before building.
Both variations work well. So does putting windows in each side of the front section, with or without another window further back.

The Woods Coop is a very specific design that's engineered precisely to create the correct airflow and air cushion to work properly for the chickens' good health.

Messing with the window placement would mess with the airflow. :)

The Woods Coop is a very specific design that's engineered precisely to create the correct airflow and air cushion to work properly for the chickens' good health.

Messing with the window placement would mess with the airflow. :)
No need to worry. Correct airflow and air cushion is important in the winter. Since the side windows are closed during the winter, it will have the correct airflow and air cushion with only the front open.

In the summer, the extra ventilation is not a problem, even so far north.

No need to worry. Correct airflow and air cushion is important in the winter. Since the side windows are closed during the winter, it will have the correct airflow and air cushion with only the front open.

In the summer, the extra ventilation is not a problem, even so far north.
Yes^^^

Messing with the window placement would mess with the airflow.
As long as the windows seal tightly when closed in winter,
except for the big open front of course,
you could put as many windows in a Woods as you wanted.

I have both windows on the front section per the original design.

I have found that available wall space for nests is at a premium. In the back section one side has the door so left with the opposite side ahead of the roost. If you do consider a window decide where/how your nests and ramps will be and choose a window size that fits.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I’ll put the windows on the front and leave the middle and back free of windows. In the process of figuring out square footage to order some Internal Wood Stabilizer now to treat the skids and boards used for siding. Going to be costly but I’m excited about it. Glad I at least dont need to buy lumber for this project!

Back
Top Bottom