Woods Fresh-Air coop build

Pics
Iā€™m considering charring the skids to help preserve them. I am planning on elevating the coop a couple feet off the ground, so the skids wouldnā€™t be in ground contact anyway. But the humidity and shade makes me feel like charring the pine skids would be wise (and a fun experiment).

Question is, do you all think the chickens would eat the charred wood? Im sure they will try some, and Iā€™m not worried about that. More concerned with them eating a ridiculous amount for 2 reasons:

1. Who knows what a bunch of charred wood would do inside a chicken
2. The charred wood is what is supposed to be protecting the skids

What are your opinions?

Iā€™m considering charring the skids to help preserve them. I am planning on elevating the coop a couple feet off the ground, so the skids wouldnā€™t be in ground contact anyway. But the humidity and shade makes me feel like charring the pine skids would be wise (and a fun experiment).

Question is, do you all think the chickens would eat the charred wood? Im sure they will try some, and Iā€™m not worried about that. More concerned with them eating a ridiculous amount for 2 reasons:

1. Who knows what a bunch of charred wood would do inside a chicken
2. The charred wood is what is supposed to be protecting the skids

What are your opinions?

I don't know if the chickens *would* focus on eating the charred wood, but if so I don't think it would hurt them.

VERY old chicken keeping books recommended feeding chickens charcoal as part of their regular supplements just like grit and oystershell.

Time for an update!

Ive gathered most of the supplies, picked a location and made some critical decisions. Hereā€™s the plan:

6ā€™x10ā€™ coop elevated roughly 18ā€ off the ground. This will give the chickens plenty of head space underneath and leave me wiggle room to shimmy under if needed, and hopefully will be quite sturdy. Plan is to probably cover the grass with cardboard temporarily for construction, set 6 solid concrete blocks (1 per corner and 2 in the middle of the skids) down. Level them, stack a hollow cinder block on each of them, fill the holes with coarse sand (not sure if this will actually have any benefits), cover with a shingle and then place 6ā€x6ā€ skids on top.

The wood will be all rough sawn red pine. I just ordered a couple gallons of Internal Wood Stabilizer to treat the skids and all exterior siding and trim boards. I dug out, cleaned off and got some of the wood staged yesterday. The floor will be built with 2x6ā€ joists 16ā€ on center and covered with 1/2ā€ treated plywood.

Walls will be built with 2x4ā€, roof will be built with 2x6ā€. We decided on metal for the roof and will put a 1ā€™ overhang on 3 or 4 sides (maybe not on the front). Picked up a couple 24ā€x24ā€ windows for the front ā€œscratch shedā€ part and still need to find or make windows for the ā€œmonitorā€. Order a Ladies First automatic coop door yesterday, which after reading reviews and asking around seemed to be the best choice.

Hopefully next week I will get to prep and treat the skids, level the blocks and start building the floor! Ill take pictures throughout the process.

Progress!

I built the skid foundation and floor. Then my dad came and helped me get the coop framing done this weekend. Still lots to do!

Attachments

• FE412DDC-3D36-44DB-AC06-8FF2C43FF8ED.jpeg
    FE412DDC-3D36-44DB-AC06-8FF2C43FF8ED.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 106FA92A-BEA7-4957-8FDE-2812282F97A1.jpeg
    106FA92A-BEA7-4957-8FDE-2812282F97A1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 8831CF8E-B662-4D4E-939D-C1A5146A64EF.jpeg
    8831CF8E-B662-4D4E-939D-C1A5146A64EF.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 21
Finally an update! Got the outside pretty much done. Still need to finish sealing the gaps around the door, put polyurethane on the floor and finish a few other things inside.

The Ladies First automatic door is working great so far, although the chickens havenā€™t tried it yet. Curious to see how they adapt to the new setup. Im also curious how this will do in winter. I know this design was implemented in Maine and Ontario but it sure seems counterintuitive to have an open front all winter. I sealed all the gaps around the coop though so it should be totally draft free. I suppose if there are issues in winter I can always put some cardboard, plywood or a heavy blanket over the front hardware cloth. Time will tell!

Attachments

• F97FA5A6-9A1F-4A2F-B4F2-AEB5F7009B9F.jpeg
    F97FA5A6-9A1F-4A2F-B4F2-AEB5F7009B9F.jpeg
    947.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 92495700-96E1-401A-AC13-F970B40DFC52.jpeg
    92495700-96E1-401A-AC13-F970B40DFC52.jpeg
    973.3 KB · Views: 15
  • E9B1C0B5-5CAC-4913-8A4E-F5564FC3A3FD.jpeg
    E9B1C0B5-5CAC-4913-8A4E-F5564FC3A3FD.jpeg
    791.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 4E1CF034-3BA7-46A5-B1E9-F6EE4B4AC08E.jpeg
    4E1CF034-3BA7-46A5-B1E9-F6EE4B4AC08E.jpeg
    820 KB · Views: 17
Finally an update! Got the outside pretty much done. Still need to finish sealing the gaps around the door, put polyurethane on the floor and finish a few other things inside.

The Ladies First automatic door is working great so far, although the chickens havenā€™t tried it yet. Curious to see how they adapt to the new setup. Im also curious how this will do in winter. I know this design was implemented in Maine and Ontario but it sure seems counterintuitive to have an open front all winter. I sealed all the gaps around the coop though so it should be totally draft free. I suppose if there are issues in winter I can always put some cardboard, plywood or a heavy blanket over the front hardware cloth. Time will tell!
That is the cutest most rustic coop ever! Nice job!

Back
Top Bottom