WOOT! Saved $251.00 off DishTV

I did the same thing, only with Comcast! Called to cancel my tv, and phone, and they reduced my tv bill by a lot. They wouldn't go down enough on my phone, so I switched to Vonage. I was paying $145.00 for tv/internet/phone, and for the next six months I'm getting tv/internet for $88.00. I got the Vonage 500 minute plan, (which I do not see advertised anymore) for $14.99.

After tax on everything, I pay about $106.00 per month for tv/internet/phone. For six months I'm going to save $234.00. I'm going to call again to cancel at the end of six months, if they won't keep the price down. It pays to keep customers, and they know it.

I called and turned off my direct tv a few months ago. We bought the digital boxes with our coupons last month. I bought the insignia brand and they are nice and was easy to set up. Only thing is I really miss the sci-fi channel and spike.

We cancelled DirecTV and internet (combined on one bill) for awhile in February. When the few channels that we were getting switched analog off, we were just getting CBS-which is normally fine, as that's what I mainly watch at night. Well, we hadn't yet bought the dumb converter boxes, so decided to use our Radioshack gift card, and a Verizon rebate card to buy a HDTV. Of course we also had to purchase the $35+ antenna needed to try *receive* the HD channels. I would walk in front of the tv, and it would freeze, almost like satellite starts to do with a storm.

This whole digital thing was just raising my blood pressure.
somad.gif
Bought the tv, special antenna, etc and it still sucked. DirecTV is back on.
big_smile.png
I'll cut back money other ways.

We had Dish Network before DirecTV-never again. I've never had so many problems with having to adjust the signal, the irritating "No Signal" floating all over the tv when a solitary cloud blew over, etc.

We did save $40 off of our Verizon bill, by cutting back on minutes (never used anywhere near what we had alloted, as we always talk to other Verizon customers=free) and taking off the "spare" phone we had for in the house.

When we moved 7 yrs ago, we switched to DISH from DirecTV. HATED DISh. The channel guide was agonizingly slow and we just got sick of it and switched back, but DirecTV will soon get the boot. We dumped cellphones years ago and want to pare down even further. We really hate being tied to all this expensive stuff. We have no movie channels except Encore. DirecTV just out of the blue gave us 3 months of free Showtime for being good customers, but I swear, I'm really glad I'm not paying for that--it's got movies I never wanted to see in the first place and old stuff. I think they're trying to bribe us to stay--months ago when we told them we wanted to cancel, they took $30/month off the $62 bill, but that wont work. As soon as DH has the big dish set up the way he wants, they're being cancelled.

I dumped my house phone when they wanted $50 to move it when I moved. I haven't missed it at all. We have our cell phones which works out great because we commute so much and I work out of town. I figure if we both have cell phones, why in the world do we need a land line?

This is great!!! I just called Dish and whined about my bill. I really wanted to go down to their bare bones package, but Im addicted to National Geographic Channel, and wouldnt you know its only on their most expensive package. BUT....I told them I was talking to Direct TV (I lied, so shoot me), and they said they'd take $15 a month off of my bill, and I incurred no commitment.
woot.gif

Quote:
Buster, that is what I will evaluate when I go see the new house this weekend. If I can get reception in the house ok, we won't bother with a land line. At them most we will just get bare bones basic for local calls and keep the cell for long distance.

Quote:
big_smile.png
I'm sure that little "white lie" wont hurt ya... they can afford to discount their current longstanding customers if they're offering 1/2 off packages to new customers for 12 months
roll.png

I'm still saving more money with Dish than with Direct even with with the $15.00 off they gave me because I have 4 TV's and Dish doesnt charge for extra converter boxes. 1 box works 2 TV's and if you have the hooked up to a phone line (land line), its $5.00 less off your bill. DirectTV charges $5.99 per box, so I'd be paying an additional $17.97 just to have 3 TV's hooked up.

Wish we had cable again though..
hmm.png

Quote:
I have always wondered about that. I understand the need for new customers and all of that but it is aggrevating to hear all of those good deals on the commercials available to new customers when youve been the loyal sort. Another thing that gets me, cell phone prices when you want to just get another style cell phone, unless you are signing another lengthy contract you get stuck paying way to much for the phone.

Quote:
I have always wondered about that. I understand the need for new customers and all of that but it is aggrevating to hear all of those good deals on the commercials available to new customers when youve been the loyal sort. Another thing that gets me, cell phone prices when you want to just get another style cell phone, unless you are signing another lengthy contract you get stuck paying way to much for the phone.

Tell me about it. I'm eligible for an upgrade-have been for awhile, and I've been eyeing the Blackberry Storm (touch screen
tongue.png
) but shoot, my old plain LG flip phone is still working fine, and I've never been one before, to have to have the "latest and greatest" so I'll just wait.

Back
Top Bottom