Words that you hate to hear from your kid

gudrin

Songster
11 Years
Oct 30, 2008
Minnesota
"Mama! I'm sick!"

Yup. 4:00 a.m. my two year old woke me up with those words. She was such a trooper though! Yesterday she fought off a fever all day, and it was gone by bedtime. So I was thinking we'd have a normal Sunday of church, Sunday School, grocery shopping, lunch, then nap. Then I got the wake up call. Luckily I still had a "sick bucket" upstairs from me having problems with my morning sickness, so I got that to her as she stood in the hallway and she held it and her aim was on, so that was good. Then I checked out her room. Only her sheets needed to be changed. None of the dolls, stuffed animals, or herself were hit. Yay! That makes life a lot easier.

While I was changing her sheets, she went into our room and talked to her dad while sipping on water. Then she apologized to me a ton for getting sick. "I'm sorry I was sick, Mama!"

How sweet! But I also felt bad that she was apologizing. It's not like she could help it. I took her temp again before putting her back to bed, and it was normal. She and I stayed home from church today and now I'm feeling incredibly guilty. The Sunday School superintendent isn't there and there isn't anyone to teach my class or to take over the Christmas Eve practice. My husband said to not worry about it, but I do. My mind was already coming up with solutions to the problem while I was cleaning up. He said it will all be figured out, so I shouldn't worry. I'm trying my best not to.

My daughter will stay on the BRAT diet for today and then we'll see how she's doing. I keep doing the "mom" check for fever (you know, put the back of your hand or your wrist on the forehead and cheeks), and she seems fine. She doesn't want to eat, but she's drinking plenty, and her dad will pick up some juice and applesauce for us. She's watching a movie (a real treat in this house!) and doesn't want anyone near her unless she needs some more water. I think she'll be fine. Poor babe! It's always tough when it's your own kid, I think.

Oh, and I also think she got some of her attitude about being sick from me. When I was so sick a few months ago, she would hear me talk about it like it wasn't a big deal and just a part of life. She didn't cry or anything, just accepted it. Though she did tell me she would never get sick again.
lol.png

My daughter at four years old got her first stomach virus...She laid on the couch, utterly miserable, and then said, "Stupid sick!" It was so funny and cute that we call it the Stupid Sick till this very day, she is 14 now...

Poor little muffin! Hope she feels better soon... and doesn't infect everyone else in the house.

i always did my mom check with a kiss on the forehead lol.
smile.png
i hope your little one feels better soon. and don't feel too guilty. like your hubby said. it will be figured out and im sure plenty understand the situation
smile.png

Sue

I have to ask... what is the BRAT diet? When we were sick mom used to start us on ice chips and if that stayed down we got 7UP or Sprite with the ice chips and if that stayed down we got crackers. I can't make that spell BRAT though.
smile.png
Bacon, Radishes, Artichokes and Tea doesn't seem like a good choice for a throwing up child. And wouldn't the BARF diet (like for dogs) be more thematically appropriate anyway?
hide.gif
clearly I don't have children... just as clearly that is probably a good thing...

Quote:
BRAT= Bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast.

She's doing okay. She's ate quite a bit now, so hopefully that will jumpstart her for other food. She took a bath, and for the first time I had to argue her into the tub. She fell asleep at the table during lunch, but that was okay. Then she spilled juice all over the couch. She got the top off of her sippy cup. I didn't seal it properly, I guess. She gets regular cups in the dining room and kitchen, but in the living room, she gets sippies still.

Quote:
I'm sure I'll hear that plenty as life goes on.

I really hope no one else gets sick. I'm still trying to figure out where this came from. We're pretty careful around here, and as an only child with a stay at home mom (well, mostly stay at home) the only place I can think of her getting sick from is church. Otherwise it was incubating for a little over a week and she got sick from cousins at Thanksgiving. Oh well, I know I won't be able to protect her and my thinking is that she won't get this again, most likely because she'll have built up the antibodies to it. At least in my little world that's the silver lining.

Oh, and I asked my husband about Sunday School, and he said he wasn't entirely sure if they even had it. That means we have one less practice for the Christmas Eve service. At least it's an easy one this year, and only have three kids that have to memorize. (We have a small Sunday School, why do you ask?)

Mom.....................................I'm pregnant.

My response -
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Her response - Shock from watching me react that way.

It wouldn't have helped either of us if I had
ep.gif
th.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
duc.gif
smack.gif
!

She was the one have to go thru the entire pregnancy - at the tender age of 15 yrs old!

Back
Top Bottom