Worked on a farm previously, now I am trying to raise chickens on my own.

FARMER-CONNIE-GREAT-INTRO-F.gif
I have 6 chickens, and one rooster. The chickens are almost ready to lay their first egg. I would have lost one of my chickens were it not for my rooster creating a lot of ruckus! Lux ( the name of that white leghorn chicken), always has a habit of flying over the fence. I was inside, so I couldn't see her outside of the fence. All of a sudden Lazarus Leaf, my leghorn rooster made such a racket that I went outside to investigate. I saw a whitish looking small hawk sitting on top of Lux and starting to rip out her feathers. I went outside of the fence area and almost ran to the hawk. The hawk let go of Lux and she went back into the yard in a hurry. All seven of them went into the coop before daylight was gone. I am going to keep them in the coop for a few days while i am looking for ways to keep them safer. I hope my girls learned their lesson about being outside the fence.
smiley_emoticons_charly_megaphon.gif FARMER-CONNIE-4235435433.gif
wave and wag.gif

hhal2018.gif

BackYard Chickens - Learn How to Raise Chickens

Ursula09 Ursula09
Search

Welcome To BackYard Chickens - READ ME FIRST!
StarMark unreadLeave
[IMG alt="BYC Support"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/m/0/61.jpg?1494367167[/IMG]
BYC Support
Administrator
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
13 Years

Jan 11, 20075791,941372
Oct 16, 2018
Hi Ursula09!

Welcome to BackYardChickens.com, the largest and best resource for learning how to raise chickens.

There are thousands of chicken enthusiasts looking forward to meeting you and answering your questions. Be careful... before you know it you'll be spending all your free time talking chicken!

We know you're probably anxious to ask questions, post pictures, and share your experiences. Below are a few areas that we suggest you visit first:

1. Introduce yourself in our "New Member Introductions" section (look for the “Post New Thread” link).
  2. Look over our "Welcome To BYC" introduction article.
  3. Visit our main community discussion forum here. Once you are in a topic specific section, look for this button to post your question:
  4. You can also check out our FAQ's here.
We hope you have a wonderful time here and look forward to learning more about you!

BTW, hopefully this video demo will help:

Oh, and before we forget, please visit our sister sites:

www.BackYardHerds.com
www.TheEasyGarden.com
www.SufficientSelf.com

Best Regards,
BYC Support

Like Quote Reply

[IMG alt="Ursula09"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/m/526/526905.jpg?1539728715[/IMG]
Remove formatting

BoldItalicUnderlineStrike-through

Text colorFont familyFont size

Insert linkInsert imageInsert videoSmiliesInsert

AlignmentListInsert table

UndoRedo

DraftsToggle BB code
I killed 9 hens with kindness...
I had been overfeeding my chickens with their normal chicken feed Pellets, not realizing I was doing so.
After the death of my 7th Chicken I spoke to a vet specializing in poultry...
He ask me three questions.
1. Are the eggs bloody on the outside?
2. Are the hens dying are new (1time) layers?
3. How much light are they getting per day?
With those three questions I realized I was doing everything wrong with my chickens...
1. The bloody outer shell is a sign of too much food.
2. My chickens that died were all first time layers.
3. I also used a light in their coop for the first time this Winter...not having had electric going to coop before.
Chickens ONLY need 12 hours daylight to lay their eggs.
I had at least 8 hours daytime light, and another 3 hours before daylight, and 4 more hours After daylight.
That was too much for my newbies...

Everytime one had a bloody behind after laying an egg, my older chickens attacked and pecked it until death! 🥺

Please DO NOT OVER FEED YOUR CHICKENS!

I now put them on a stricked diet of feeding a couple of handfuls of feed for 18 chickens every 7 hours. I use the last feeding to get them back into the coop at 5:30pm right now...

Post reply Preview
Attach files

Conversation info
Participants2Replies0Last reply dateOct 16, 2018Last reply fromBYC Support
Conversation info
  1. [IMG alt="Ursula09"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/s/526/526905.jpg?1539728715[/IMG]
    Ursula09
    Chirping

AN ELITE CAFEMEDIA LIFESTYLE PUBLISHER

BackYard Chickens - Learn How to Raise Chickens
Ursula09 Ursula09
Search

Welcome To BackYard Chickens - READ ME FIRST!
StarMark unreadLeave
[IMG alt="BYC Support"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/m/0/61.jpg?1494367167[/IMG]
BYC Support
Administrator
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
13 Years

Jan 11, 20075791,941372
Oct 16, 2018
Hi Ursula09!

Welcome to BackYardChickens.com, the largest and best resource for learning how to raise chickens.

There are thousands of chicken enthusiasts looking forward to meeting you and answering your questions. Be careful... before you know it you'll be spending all your free time talking chicken!

We know you're probably anxious to ask questions, post pictures, and share your experiences. Below are a few areas that we suggest you visit first:

1. Introduce yourself in our "New Member Introductions" section (look for the “Post New Thread” link).
  2. Look over our "Welcome To BYC" introduction article.
  3. Visit our main community discussion forum here. Once you are in a topic specific section, look for this button to post your question:
  4. You can also check out our FAQ's here.
We hope you have a wonderful time here and look forward to learning more about you!

BTW, hopefully this video demo will help:

Oh, and before we forget, please visit our sister sites:

www.BackYardHerds.com
www.TheEasyGarden.com
www.SufficientSelf.com

Best Regards,
BYC Support

Like Quote Reply

[IMG alt="Ursula09"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/m/526/526905.jpg?1539728715[/IMG]
Remove formatting

BoldItalicUnderlineStrike-through

Text colorFont familyFont size

Insert linkInsert imageInsert videoSmiliesInsert

AlignmentListInsert table

UndoRedo

DraftsToggle BB code
I killed 9 hens with kindness...
I had been overfeeding my chickens with their normal chicken feed Pellets, not realizing I was doing so.
After the death of my 7th Chicken I spoke to a vet specializing in poultry...
He ask me three questions.
1. Are the eggs bloody on the outside?
2. Are the hens dying are new (1time) layers?
3. How much light are they getting per day?
With those three questions I realized I was doing everything wrong with my chickens...
1. The bloody outer shell is a sign of too much food.
2. My chickens that died were all first time layers.
3. I also used a light in their coop for the first time this Winter...not having had electric going to coop before.
Chickens ONLY need 12 hours daylight to lay their eggs.
I had at least 8 hours daytime light, and another 3 hours before daylight, and 4 more hours After daylight.
That was too much for my newbies...

Everytime one had a bloody behind after laying an egg, my older chickens attacked and pecked it until death! 🥺

Please DO NOT OVER FEED YOUR CHICKENS!

I now put them on a stricked diet of feeding a couple of handfuls of feed for 18 chickens every 7 hours. I use the last feeding to get them back into the coop at 5:30pm right now...

Post reply Preview
Attach files

Conversation info
Participants2Replies0Last reply dateOct 16, 2018Last reply fromBYC Support
Conversation info
  1. [IMG alt="Ursula09"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/s/526/526905.jpg?1539728715[/IMG]
    Ursula09
    Chirping

AN ELITE CAFEMEDIA LIFESTYLE PUBLISHER
Layers should have free choice feed and lots of space to exercise.
How many birds do you have in how large a coop? Do they free range or are they in a run?

Chickens should have free choice feed. They will not over eat. They have limits. You shouldn’t be feeding 18 hens a few handfuls ever 7 hours as they will not get adequate food and will likely begin to lose weight. The reason why you may think your chickens are over eating is that they are rushing to the feed due to not getting any feed for a few hours. Please give them free choice feed. I promise you they will not over eat and this is infact much better for their health

Back
Top Bottom