World's hardest Coconut Cake recipe but worth it!

bargain

Love God, Hubby & farm
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Bowdon, GA
I just made this cake ----- well almost...I need to make the frosting:

Coconut Cake

Hands on time: 1 hour and 20 minutes Total time: 5 hours and 10 minutes Serves: 16

Ingredients:
Cake:
1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons (1 3/4sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 3/4 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup homemade vanilla pudding (see recipe)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped into soft peaks
Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe)
1 (6-ounce) package fresh frozen coconut, thawed

Homemade Vanilla Pudding:
1 cup minus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
12 ounces (1¸ 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 pound (about 2 cups) confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

Instructions:
To make the cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter two (9-inch) cake pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper and butter again. Set aside.
With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale yellow. Slowly add the vegetable oil and beat until well-combined. Beat in the yolks and the whole eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the buttermilk and vanilla. In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Beat into the butter mixture in thirds, scraping down sides of bowl after each addition. Fold in the pudding and whipping cream.
Divide the batter between the cake pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cake begins to pull from sides and springs back when lightly touched in the center. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto wire racks and cool completely.

To make the pudding: In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, flour and salt until well-combined. In a bowl, whisk the yolks until smooth, then slowly whisk in the milk. Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Add the cold butter and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent scorching, until the pudding thickens and begins to boil. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Cool to room temperature.

To make the frosting: With an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until well-combined. Add the confectioners’ sugar and beat until creamy. Beat in the vanilla and lemon juice.

To assemble the cake: Place 1 layer upright on a serving platter. Spread about 1 cup frosting evenly over the top. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup coconut. Top with second layer; cover top and sides with remaining frosting. Press remaining coconut onto the top and sides, covering completely.

Notes:
For the coconut cake connoisseur, this recipe will become a favorite labor of love. You can make the pudding a day ahead of the cake; just bring it to room temperature before adding it to the batter. The pudding recipe makes 2 cups, twice as much as you’ll need for the cake. It’ll make about 4 servings as its own dessert.

Okay I'm going to make the frosting and then ice cream (goat milk) and eat some!!!! Wish you were all here to have a bit with me.

Read the recipe carefully - as the pudding is only half used in the cake....and save the other 1/2 to eat later. I didn't see this and I literally have pudding cake - ha but we will eat it....It really looks good. I actually made 3 layers instead of 2. Well, I've got my stretch jogging pants on and here we go for the frosting and then the ice cream.....Do you all want a photo????

That sounds just heavenly. Especially if you can get someone esle to make it for you. lol

Coconut cake was always my favorite.

And yeah photos please.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom