Worm in chickens eye?

MyersChickens

Chirping
Jul 30, 2021
Hi, so I noticed just today that one of my hens has something yellow poking out of her eye. At first I thought it was just a piece of dead grass, and tried to very gently pick it out. But when it didn't even budge and seemed to just be hurting her I got worried and did some research. I found out that it might be a worm that's sticking out of her eye, but at the same time it doesn't look like a worm, but instead just something that's sharp and yellow. And I also couldn't find any pictures online about chicken worms that looked remotely similar to what she has. So if anyone could help me figure out what it might be and how to help her I would deeply appreciate it. Poor girl looks like she's suffering. No foam or puss is coming out of it, however she does keep that eye closed 90% of the time, and it does look like the thing in the eye is making her tear up a bit.

Attachments

• AB8C1852-76D1-4792-84D6-B7006FC942C4.jpeg
    AB8C1852-76D1-4792-84D6-B7006FC942C4.jpeg
    600.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Hey, I just want to thank everyone who helped me, I got it out of her eye! She was quite agitated afterward, so I'm going to wait just a little bit before I try to clean the eye, as it would have been very hard with her trying to move all around. But I will clean it, don't worry. :) It was just something from a plant, and I felt terrible for her when I saw just how big it actually was! And the sweet girl was absolutely amazing when I was taking it out, hardly moved at all. Which was extremely good since I did not want to poke her eye with the tweezers. It's like she knew I was trying to help her. Thank you everyone!

Here is a picture of what it was if any of you are interested to see how big it was. :)

Attachments

• 11C0C877-E03C-4FA8-A43A-FA59812585BD.jpeg
    11C0C877-E03C-4FA8-A43A-FA59812585BD.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 15
If you can guarantee that someone could help you hold her head still, you could try tweezers. A QTip or a tissue might just move it aside if it is just stuck to the surface of her eye. Do you have anything to flush it with? Saline eye wash might be good.
Like saline solution for contacts? Because yes we do have that. And it's not stuck to her eye, it's kinda poking out of it, probably a couple millimeters away from the surface of the eye. And yes I do have someone who could help me hold her.

Piperazine aka Wazine is no longer available in the United States. Piperazine treats Large Roundworms ONLY. It does NOT treat other types of poultry roundworms; that includes eyeworms, cecal worms, capillary worms, gizzard worms and gapeworms.
I know this because I've used Piperazine many times and anything else is misinformation about it treating other types of poultry worms.

Flukes can be treated with Valbazen or Praziquantel. They do not infect the eyes in poultry.

Eyeworms can be treated with Valbazen as mentioned by @Eggcessive by mixing equal parts of water and Valbazen and flushed in the eyes to kill eyeworms, then given orally to kill eyeworm larva.

The object in the chickens eye in the photo is not any type of worm nor fluke.
It needs to pulled out with tweezers then put Neosporin in the eye until healed.

Back
Top Bottom