worming adults and chicks question

trudyg

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 3, 2013
North Alabama
I have 7 hens and 6 cornish cross chicks that are 3 weeks old. I see worms in the poop tray, clear and about 1/2" long, don't really know what kind. Both mom hens are fiercely protecting the babies. They were sitting on eggs that I figured were not fertile, so I put chicks under them. I had someone who wanted all the chickens and thought, oh, I'll have chicks to butcher at the time he comes to get the adults, but now the guy changed his mind. I'm traveling a lot for work and plan to get rid of all the chickens anyway, so now my plan is to butcher them all when the chicks reach size. Should I treat them even if I'll be butchering soon? If I treat, do the chicks need it too? I have fenbendazole liquid. If I treat tonight and then again in 10 days, I've only got another 10 days before butcher time, if cornish cross are ready at 6 weeks. I'm not concerned about residue in the meat or eggs I get before then, just want guidance. The older ones are all over 3 years old, several are more like 7, and I'll probably just use them for broth. Would you treat only the adults and not the chicks or would the chicks not make weight unless treated? I'm just so ready to be done but don't want any of them to suffer. Also, I'm not too sure how old the chicks are, really, probably several days old when I bought them, not that a few days really matters. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I had thought that you butcher them at 6 weeks, but now I see that some people wait until 8- 10 weeks. So, should I treat them all? Just the adults? These chicks are probably 1 1/2 pounds at this point and growing rapidly. I'm concerned that their nutrition won't be so great if they're full of worms.

Did you see the worms in the adult hens poop or in the chicks poop?

6 cornish cross chicks that are 3 weeks old.

Would you treat only the adults and not the chicks or would the chicks not make weight unless treated?
At only three weeks it woud be rare to see worms in chicks, but not impossible. If they have worms, your concern would be justified.
I'm concerned that their nutrition won't be so great if they're full of worms.
Yes, that is exactly what would happen as worms would deprive them of nutrients.

Perhaps you could post a picture of the worms you found, so we might be able to identify them.

I saw the worms in the adult poop in the poop board. Chicks are still on the floor with moms, so I haven't looked at those poops. Wouldn't the hens also have worms and the chicks, pecking, eat them because they wiggle? I'd rather not treat anyone if I can get away without it but the fact that I'm seeing worms tells me they've got them pretty bad, so either I butcher soon or treat. I didn't really want to butcher until the babies were ready, but can. If I treat, should I also treat the moms? Can the chicks make it to 8 - 10 weeks without worming them? If so, I won't treat them since they're destined for meat anyway. If I decide to keep the 2 that will sit on eggs, I'd have to treat the entire flock, right? even if the rest get butchered? (If you can't tell, I'm trying to find the easiest way to proceed)

Back
Top Bottom