Worming Advice?

Theofire88

Chirping
Feb 16, 2015
Hello!

Just so 'yall know, don't worry, I have had no problems regarding worms so far, but we have had our hens for nearly a year now and I am wondering on a worming plan? (I was thinking once every six months?)

Heres what I was thinking I would do: For the first worming, put Wazine 12 for chickens in the water as their only source for 24 hours, follow up a few days later with and Ivermectin Pour-on Cattle wormer and repeat in two days. Only Ivermectin for the rest of the wormings.

I have heard that both these products are not legitimate and don't work? I believe in the Ivermectin, but the Wazine is new to me. Should I Wazine every time? Is Ivermectin for horses ONLY ok for chickens, I believe the label says it all but some people say that they use it?

Thanks so much for any help!

• Wazine (piperazine) only gets roundworms
  • Ivermectin at the recommended dose is unlikely to treat any worms in poultry
  • Safeguard (fenbendazole) has to be given at high doses (0,23ml per pound) five days in a row to get capillary worms and gapeworms, but a one day dose will treat roundworms and cecal worms.
  • Valbazen (albendazole) given once at 0.08ml per pound will get all but gapeworms, for those you would need to give it three days in a row I think.

Bang for the buck, get the Valbazen and be done with it.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Edited to add:
Repeat Valbazen dose in 10 days.

Last edited:
Thank you for your knowledge! I am definitely going to go with Valbazen but is there anything else I should give them to be rid of gapeworms, if they have them?

Thank you for your knowledge! I am definitely going to go with Valbazen but is there anything else I should give them to be rid of gapeworms, if they have them?
If they don't have them, no need to treat for them. I have many birds, and out of all of them, I've only ever had to treat one with gapes.

-Kathy

You would know if your birds had gapeworm, be glad they dont. Higher doses of valbazen would treat them, same is true for safeguard. Kathy is right about ivermectin, it's ineffective as a wormer in poultry. Wazine acts as a flush against large roundworms. If a chicken is loaded up with large roundworms and wazine is used, there's a good chance a blockage could occur causing toxic dead worm overload resulting in the death of the chicken. Valbazen slowly kills worms over several days preventing toxic dead worm overload.

I simply cannot find any Valbazen for sale
1f611.png
. However I have heard DE (Diatomaceous earth) is effective?

I simply cannot find any Valbazen for sale
1f611.png
. However I have heard DE (Diatomaceous earth) is effective?

DE is NOT effective as a preventative nor a treatment against worms. Since you cant find the valbazen, purchase Safeguard liquid goat wormer at a feed store. Dosage is 1/2cc given orally undiluted to each bird. Give to your birds 5 days in a row, morning time before they eat.
Dont listen to the misinformation that's being put out concerning DE.
See post #22 in this link what an avian vet says about DE:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/841343/worming-quail/20#post_12481972

Last edited:
DE is NOT effective as a preventative nor a treatment against worms. Since you cant find the valbazen, purchase Safeguard liquid goat wormer at a feed store. Dosage is 1/2cc given orally undiluted to each bird. Give to your birds 5 days in a row, morning time before they eat.
Dont listen to the misinformation that's being put out concerning DE.
See post #22 in this link what an avian vet says about DE:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/841343/worming-quail/20#post_12481972

goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom