Worming chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by IggiMom, Oct 18, 2009.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I hope this is the right forum to post this.

I have not seen any signs of worms, but my chickens are not laying well, and I am POURING chicken feed into them, and so I thought I should worm them.

What is the least toxic way to do this? I have too many to worm them individually, so I need a flock way to do it.

And how long should I discard any eggs? Not that there are all that many to discard.

I have not been on the forum much lately. We have had a lot of trouble. It seems as if anything that can go wrong, has, and I am very behind on everything.[​IMG]

Thanks for any advice.

Catherine

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    You could use Verm-x. You can keep eating eggs while worming them. The downside is that it is very expensive. You might want to read up on it though.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I do not worm unless I see eggs in the poo or worms. What ages are your hens? some of mine stopped laying last week and all a sudden this week are molting like crazy. Feathers everywhere.
    To answer your question. Usually if worming is nec. and you know whether they are round worms or tape worms I would start with wazine in their drinking water. thats for round worms. If tape worms are present, after worming for round worms wait two weeks and use ivemectin drop on . Worming for both at once is too stressful for the birds. Wait on wazine is two weeks. I would wait on ivermectin the same amt of time. You can scramble the eggs and feed to the hens or dogs and cats.
    Every one has a routine they like. Do not give yogurt while using the wazine but afterward it will help them to over the stress of worming. Good luck. gloria Jean

4. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    A fecal float at our vet is only around $10. So I gather up a bit of suspicious poo from here and there (fresh, and keep it refrigerated if not going to the vet for more than one hour). Then you know exactly what type of worms, if any, are present.

I like fenbendazole because it is broad spectrum, easy to dose, easy to obtain. I do not eat the eggs from the time I start worming until 14 days after the last day of worming. I buy the 10% liquid goat type and the dosing is 1 ml (1 cc) per liter of water for 5 days.

5. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    The hens are about a year old, and there is some molting. The young birds were hatched in June, not old enough to lay.

Good idea about the fecal. I have to see my vet tomorrow, so I will take a nice bunch of poo for him. Shouldn't have too much trouble finding it.

Thanks.

Catherine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by