Worming chickens?

Flystrike is maggots that are deep in a wound. Sometimes flies will lay eggs on poopy butts, after the flies eat the nasty stuff, they will start eating into the chickens body. A disgusting situation that must be dealt with very quickly !

It's as simple as google images worms in chicken poop. https://www.google.com/search?hl=en....0....0...1ac.1.64.img..4.17.1412.Gx5F59h3-tY

Anything running around outside eating things outside has worms. It's a question of keeping these worms in equilibrium with the internal parasites of the creature: cat, dog, goat, pig or chicken, etc.

Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) can be added to the feed of all of the above at intervals to help mitigate worm overloads. Cats and dogs get tapeworm or roundworm from eating things. Chickens do the same.

The picture in 24 certainly looks like maggots to me.

Pumpkin is supposed to be a natural wormer, and since we grow pumpkins I always have plenty of seeds and meat/pulp (sometimes frozen) to give them. They love the seeds, eat much of the meat, and we've never had worm problems. We also occasionally put some pumpkin to the cat and dog.

I haven't wormed my chickens for a long time. I give them garlic in their water and feed. I also put garlic stems leaves and bits in their nesting boxes.
This does two jobs at the same time. Improves Health and eradicates mites.
The garlic does not affect the eggs either. Some chemicals do. I agree about the DE. Use it. Both for mites and worms.

I never saw worms in my chickens poop, but wriggling on their bellies. I wonder if this is the "poopy butt fly strike" mentioned? anyway, I knew they also had mites so first, I gave them a bath with mild flea bath...that helped tremendously and their feathers have all grown back. I also gave them ivermectin, and then a week later, wazine. So I'm sure they don't have worms anymore. I do have a concern tho about one hen that still has poor quality eggs. the shell is so soft it breaks as she lays it. I have tried everything mentioned here on BYC, ground eggshells, oyster shells, and giving them cooked eggs and milk. Nothing seems to help her. All the birds got anti biotics as well for 1 week. I guess she must have a deformed system? She used to lay good eggs, but now she doesn't. The others are all back to normal.

Worms don't wiggle on bellies, maggots do.

If you want to be 100% sure they don't have worms you need to worms with Safeguard for 5 days at 0.23ml per pound or Valbazen one day at 0.08ml per pound.

Wazine only treats roundworms, and many worms are resistant to ivermectin.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Well, I actually give the whole seeds to our dog; she loves them. The chickens get them without the husks (a lot of work, but they don't seem to know what to do with the whole seed in the shell.) I mainly give the chickens fresh pumpkin meat; they love it. And the cat gets pumpkin pulp in her food (I have to disguise it a little so she will eat it.)

You're correct. Rotating on different soil helps, even in small backyards. A good layer of sand about 5 to 6 inches deep in permanent pens/runs helps deter parasites/insects. The key is keeping everything as dry as possible.
It's so hot here in south Texas that I have a mister going in the backyard. It does keep a small part of the yard damp. Is this bad?

Back
Top Bottom