Worming/Corid Tips, please?

PavoFowl

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
South Texas
Hello all!

I have 6 IB peachicks that will be 12 weeks old on Monday, Sep. 15th. I've heard that it's best to start worming at 3 months old, but I'm looking for some advice. I live in Central/South Texas, if that info helps.

They are currently housed in a large brooder with wood floors. They have not had any contact with dirt yet. For the first week I had them out of their indoor brooders I dosed them with the preventative dose of Corid, per CasportPony's dosing guidelines. That was around 3 weeks old. I have them on the Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles.

This weekend, we intend to have our large coop finished, a 12'x24' and 12' tall covered coop. It has a dirt floor. If we finish it, I'd like to put them out as soon as possible.

My questions-

Should I worm them now, or will the extra stress of moving them after worming make issues?

Should I start them on preventative Corid before we put them out for their first contact with dirt?

I have a bottle of Safeguard (fenbendazole) instead of Wazine, because it treats a wider spectrum of worms and I don't want to worm any more than I have to. Is Safeguard acceptable? Can I dose it by syringe, or is it best to do by water? I only have 6 birds, so I don't want to make 50 gallons of mix. LOL

Would it be okay to worm them while starting the Corid, if needed?

I just love these babies so much, and don't want them to get Cocci or worms with this transition to the new coop.

Thank you in advance!
wee.gif

Hello all!

I have 6 IB peachicks that will be 12 weeks old on Monday, Sep. 15th. I've heard that it's best to start worming at 3 months old, but I'm looking for some advice. I live in Central/South Texas, if that info helps.

They are currently housed in a large brooder with wood floors. They have not had any contact with dirt yet. For the first week I had them out of their indoor brooders I dosed them with the preventative dose of Corid, per CasportPony's dosing guidelines. That was around 3 weeks old. I have them on the Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles.

This weekend, we intend to have our large coop finished, a 12'x24' and 12' tall covered coop. It has a dirt floor. If we finish it, I'd like to put them out as soon as possible.

My questions-

Should I worm them now, or will the extra stress of moving them after worming make issues?

Should I start them on preventative Corid before we put them out for their first contact with dirt?

I have a bottle of Safeguard (fenbendazole) instead of Wazine, because it treats a wider spectrum of worms and I don't want to worm any more than I have to. Is Safeguard acceptable? Can I dose it by syringe, or is it best to do by water? I only have 6 birds, so I don't want to make 50 gallons of mix. LOL

Would it be okay to worm them while starting the Corid, if needed?

I just love these babies so much, and don't want them to get Cocci or worms with this transition to the new coop.

Thank you in advance!
wee.gif

Hi there, haven't heard from you for awhile. I am glad to hear they are doing well. We never dose with wormer before they go on dirt. Generally I wait until about 2-3 weeks after first contact with soil. And usually about 1/3-1/2 cc by syringe, but Kathy can give you exact amounts if you have a scale to weigh your babies.
lol.png
Syringe is so much more certain than water and since we don't want to take chances with babies that is the route I take. They need some exposure to cocci so they can build up their resistance, I think if it was me I would maybe do the preventative for the first 2 weeks and then try going without. Watching them closely is the most important thing you can do, at the first sign of listlessness, drooping wings, or ruffled feathers treat for it, but hopefully that won't happen. Mine are off the corid water, but they are still eating the medicated feed, at 14,13 and 10 weeks of age. Keep us posted.

Yes, I have been so busy! It's my first semester in college, and these 15 hours are getting to me! I've been totally absent from my FB page, too. They're doing really great so far.

So, best to just throw them out, and then use Corid if they're acting off, but let them try and build up their own resistance first? Then after 2-3 weeks worm them by mouth.

And, I'm going to have fun dosing 1/3 CC.
ep.gif
All of my syringes are waaaay too big for that. Horse people problems. Lol

Yes, I have been so busy! It's my first semester in college, and these 15 hours are getting to me! I've been totally absent from my FB page, too. They're doing really great so far.

So, best to just throw them out, and then use Corid if they're acting off, but let them try and build up their own resistance first? Then after 2-3 weeks worm them by mouth.

And, I'm going to have fun dosing 1/3 CC.
ep.gif
All of my syringes are waaaay too big for that. Horse people problems. Lol

Well, I'm not really advocating "just throwing them out there", but it has to be done sooner or later unless you want 6 Peas living in the house with you. I feel the same way every time I put chicks on the ground for the first time. Cocci is everywhere in everyone's soil, so there is pretty much zero chance they will not be exposed to it. They have to build up that resistance and 12 weeks seems to be the ideal age to get them started. I don't really have a big enough wire bottom pen, so mine end up going on the ground at around 8 weeks, and I do the medicated feed and the preventative dose of corid in the water until they are 12 weeks and then start to wean them off of it. I take at least 15 minutes at the morning and evening feedings to just watch them, making sure all look well, are eating and active and interact with their flock mates. Cocci will put them off their feed and make them listless, so I watch for that. So far this year we have had no problems, knock on wood. Safe guard is a great wormer and I can't recommend it enough, but there is just no need to use it now because the chances of them having worms before being on the ground are so small.

I agree with @DylansMom , no need to worm them before putting them on dirt, and Safeguard is a great womer. The worm I worry about most when they first hit the dirt is the cecal worm, and the amount of Safeguard I have been using to treat cecal worms and round worms is 50mg per kg, which is 0.5ml of Safeguard liquid *or* paste per 1kg (2.2 pounds) orally, *never* in water. Repeat in ten days. I know you're busy with school, but you should probably find a way to weigh them now and then every couple of weeks. At 12 weeks of age all of mine weigh 1.2 -1.7kg grams.

Calculating the dose is easy, all you need is the weight of bird in kg, then times that by the mg/kg of Safeguard you want to use (I like 50mg/kg), divided by number of mg in one ml, which is 100 for 10% Safeguard liquid and Paste.

Here are some samples of weights and doses:
  • A 1kg chick is this: 1 x 50 ÷ 100 = 0.5ml
  • A 1.2kg chick is this: 1.2 x 50 ÷ 100 = 0.6ml
  • A 1.7kg chick is this: 1.7 x 50 ÷ 100 = 0.85ml
  • A 2kg chick is this: 2 x 50 ÷ 100 = 1ml

For those that would rather just weigh in pounds, just put the weight in pounds and divide by 2.2 at the beginning of each equation. For example, a three pound chick looks like:
  • 3 ÷ 2.2 x 50 ÷ 100 = 0.68ml

Hope this helps,
Kathy

Last edited:
Okay, thank you so much, Kathy! So I need to weigh and worm them ten days after they go on the dirt, then in ten days, repeat they weighing and worming?

Okay, thank you so much Kathy!

So, I'll need to weigh and worm them after ten days in the dirt, then repeat the process in ten days?

Also, I need to find some wood to knock on because they've been so healthy so far.

Today when I went out to feed them, I noticed that my BLT (Brave Little Toaster.. Not a very regal name, but totally fits his personality.) is missing a toe nail/ claw/ talon. Not sure of the term. It's a little pink, but the other birds haven't noticed it. I only noticed it because he comes right to me when I open the door. I didn't want to touch it, because if you touch something they're super interested and I didn't want them trying to eat his toes off. I took a photo.

Also, please excuse the yucky floor. Texas just had it's first cool spell, of lovely 65 and rain, so they're shivering and cold. I didn't want to scrub the floor like I do in the mornings because I was worried they'd get too cold if they got more wet.

That being said... Should I be worried about Toaster? I guess the better question would be to ask if there is anything I can or should do for him. If it warms up today I'll be scrubbing the floor so it's not dirty. Totally bothers me.

Weigh them now *and* once every week or two to make sure they're gaining weight. Talk to breeders in your area and find out how often they worm.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom