Worming-do I have to wait 10 days between Wazine & the paste?

calicokat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
azalia, indiana
I put the 1oz. of Wazine in the chickens water yesterday (there are only 16 of them, so it'll take 2 - 3 days to drink it all).

But one chicken was already looking really lethargic and I'm wondering if I can go ahead and give her the paste? Not sure she'll make it to wait 10 days.

calico, are you sure the lethargic one has a case of worms? Many things can cause "general malaise." If it is something other than worms, over medicating can cause even more stress.

Did you see evidence of worms? Has their food changed? Could they have eaten wet/moldy food or other gnarly things? Is the droopy one in a molt? Just a couple of ideas that might help.

Last edited:
Quote:
Wazine is only supposed to given for a 24 hour period then discarded. You should wait a minimum of 10 days before you reworm them. You've got to give the wormer time to get out of their system. Giving them another wormer too soon could possibly harm or maybe kill them. Remember, wormers are poisons. The one chicken that is lethargic...give the wazine time to work, you should see a big difference within 2 days if she has a worm infestation. What is the name of the paste that you have?

Quote:
The 10th day after your last use of the wazine, give them a "pea" size dose of the paste to each chicken. It might be easier if you put a dose on a small piece of bread and give each chicken a piece of bread, they'll gobble it up.

I dosed w wazine today. Been watching hen for 3 days w head shaking. Started gape mouth thing tonight. I think she has gapeworms now and feel I gave the wrong med. Wanna do safeguard tomorrow now since reading more! Please tell me that would be okay. Don't think she can wait!

I dosed w wazine today. Been watching hen for 3 days w head shaking. Started gape mouth thing tonight. I think she has gapeworms now and feel I gave the wrong med. Wanna do safeguard tomorrow now since reading more! Please tell me that would be okay. Don't think she can wait!
Gapeworm are rare in chickens. She may simply be yawning or adjusting her crop. Or, she may have something stuck in her throat or crop. If this is the case, give her an eyedropperful of vegetable oil orally and gently massage her throat down to her crop. She will either puke or pass whatever is stuck. Another possibility would be a fungal infection in her crop. The worst case scenario would be that she has the onset of a respiratory disease, however there would be most likely other symptoms.
I sent you a PM regarding worming.

Back
Top Bottom