Worming Hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mylilchix, Feb 16, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm just wondering if it's ok to worm hens once a year like I do some of my other critters? Then I'm also wondering if there is a natural wormer out there that I can use and still be able to eat the eggs? Thanks for your help!!

Sonja

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Hi, don't know of any natural dewormers but I deworm several times a year. Chickens love earthworms and they carry cecal worms which can eventually in time harm the health of the birds. I use a good all purpose dewormer. Roundworms can be a health hazard too. Hope this helps

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  3. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Hi there,
    Verm-X is a natural wormer with no withdrawal period & there are formulas for other pets & livestock as well as poultry. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I plan to as I have had a bout with internal parasites recently & lost some really fine birds due to my own ignorance & procrastination. (My chocolate Old English hen died & was the only hen in that color I had!) I used something else that does have a withdrawal period & just tossed out about 40 eggs. You can visit Verm-X.com to read about it. I read about it in Backyard Poultry magazine.
    There is also a product called: WormGuard Plus Super Concentrate that is all natural and has formulas for other animals as well.
    Visit www.theholistichorse.com to find out about that one.
    Good luck![​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  4. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    There's a lot of debate going on about the pros ad Cons. This could be a busy thread. Here is what a lot of people do, they give their birds DE. I use Wazine once a year. Evidently, someone said that egg producers should not be given this. Others will tell you that you should not worm until you need to. I realize that I have not been a lot of help, but these are just some of the suggestions you will get. A lot will depend on what you have your birds for.

5. LlamaChick

LlamaChick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2008
    Llama Country
    I haven't tried this yet as I don't have chickens yet but I found this wormer the other day

6. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    it's best to have a fecal test done at a vet..for worms and protozoa (cocci)..most any vet can do it with a fecal sample.

I generally use Wazine 17 once a year..and if needed..a broader wormer..tho rarely.

I have heard that some people use ground cayenne pepper in the feed as a preventative....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by