Worming quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by yotetrapper, Jun 18, 2009.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Songster

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    A guy I know that raises birds asked us if we'd wormed our quail yet. I didnt know we had to. Do quail need to be wormed, and if so, what do you worm then with?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    you don't *have* to unless you house them on the ground where they can come into contact with ickies and cocci. You can worm them just how you'd worm a chicken just a smaller dosage. I don't because my birds are all in raised pens.

3. I was wondering the same thing. I keep my button quail in cages on wood shavings.. I was wondering if I had to worm them.. If so how much..

4. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:if you notice a drop in weight then more than likely they may have worms. I dont know anyone who worms their buttons but wow that'd be one small dosage! LOL! I wish i could help. I probably wouldnt worm them unless you saw a problem but that's just me [​IMG]

5. Ironsun

Ironsun Chirping

Jun 17, 2009
    Cumbria
    Hi,

I think there would be no advantage worming your birds unless they are kept on the same outdoor ground for a few years, they'll be more worm eggs in the ground for birds to pick up. Raised or indoor cages do not contain soils so would'nt be at risk from worm eggs.

Ironsun

6. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Songster

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Thanks, that was what I figured but when my husband talked to that friend of his he was like ohh we cant put the quail outside until we worm them.. and I was like, huh? LOL. I didnt know anything about quail. though, so figured i'd check.

7. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    some people just think you can't do things a certain way at all. theres always exceptions to an old rule [​IMG] however I've never heard of that one LOL! Coturnix and many other quail are pretty hardy so you'll be fine [​IMG]

8. CARS

CARS Songster

In all honesty I haven't wormed anything in 5 years. I have turkeys and chickens in the same barn, on the same ground. Quail in cages.

So Far So Good!!!!!!!!!!!

P.s. I have only had poultry for 5 years [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I havent wormed a single bird here either, ive had birds on and off for a few years dont plan to either unless omethign shows up.

10. quailmaster123

quailmaster123 Hatching

Aug 20, 2016
    so say if i am growing quails in a large bird cage off the ground no need to worm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: