worming quail

And what about liver flukes, lung worms, crop and esohegeal/gape worms...how is the DE going to get to these places passing thru the GI tract? I need some real proof please.

Edit to add: There was a guy on here about 1 1/2 or 2 years ago that kept Bobwhite quail. That year, his birds were dropping like flies. I can't remember if he had them necropsied or cut them open himself, but they had Gape worms.

He had hatched his entire flock himself and all along had been sprinkling DE on their food. But still, his birds were dying one by one from Gape worms...the worms that attach themselves to the inside of the windpipe.

It wasn't until he started using fenendazole on them. The paste. He had to dose and redose them every 14 days for 3 months before he was able to get a hold of this infestation.

Last edited:
Well TwoCrows you crow alot but as I said in an earlier post you have cast a shadow over anything you say because of untruth. If gamebirds says the vets that head the SC Poultry Division recommend it I'll take his word at face value until proven wrong. After all, SC is one of the largest poultry producers in the nation, I would think they would know what they are talking about.

Well TwoCrows you crow alot but as I said in an earlier post you have cast a shadow over anything you say because of untruth. If gamebirds says the vets that head the SC Poultry Division recommend it I'll take his word at face value until proven wrong. After all, SC is one of the largest poultry producers in the nation, I would think they would know what they are talking about.
I crow a lot about a lot of things. And will continue to do so.

In the future should you have an illness in your flock or some issue that "someone you trust" is not helping you out with, I will be sure to never advise you again. If you lose your entire flock, so be it. If you continue with quail for the next 10 years, you will learn a few things about them and won't need to get advice from anyone. What works for some does not always work for all.

And as for trusting all vets....you are in for a long hard road of hardship. They do not know it all. Some do, some don't. Do you trust your insurance agent when he tells you how much he is concerned for you and your family?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, interested to hear what you use to worm your quail with ,thanks.
I have used Safeguard at 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds) by mouth and repeat in ten days. There is a study that shows Safeguard is effective against most worms in chickens, including tapes and gapes when given at 20mg/kg for three days in a row; capillary worms were not mentioned in that study, and I believe it take 5 days of worming for Safeguard to be effective for them, but I'm not sure what the dose is.

I have links for a bunch of studies if you're interested. I can also help you figure out doses for your quail if you need it.

-Kathy

Oviously quail are smaller than chickens, so a more precise dose is needed, I recommend weighing each quail in grams on a kitchen or postal scale and dosing it based on it's weight.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Oviously quail are smaller than chickens, so a more precise dose is needed, I recommend weighing each quail in grams on a kitchen or postal scale and dosing it based on it's weight.

-Kathy
A bee bee sized dose of Safegauard is the recommended dosage for quail. Repeat in 10-12 days. :)

Last edited:
Safeguard is very safe and I'm sure that method will work, but I prefer to weigh and dose by weight. My 100 gram quail get .05ml (5mg) of either the liquid or the paste. And yes, liquid or paste, it's the same amount, I verified that. :D

-Kathy

A couple of comments concerning DE as an organic dewormer for poultry. First, DE has never been proven in scientific trials to kill internal parasites.I don't have the reference handy but could probably locate if pushed. Second, I doubt DE would have any effect on the ova of most roundworms or coccidia oocysts. These structures have a very hard shell designed to with stand harsh environments. Lastly, since DE themselves have sharp edges, how much harm might they do to the delicate intestinal epithelium? Damage to the intestinal lining may permit pathogenic bacteria access to the birds blodstream.

Actually as far as De causing all of the intestinal issue mentioned then we all need to stop brushing our teeth. Yes De is used in tooth paste or at a lot I cant swear for all. It is also used for some blood procedures in humans. Now on the dawn dish soap it is actually not suppose to be taken internally. If taken internally you are suppose to contact poison control. One of the issues with the taken dish soap internally is gastrointestinal problem, Well according to the MSDS anyways. But another is moderate flammability. Now in order for tooth paste manefacturers to be allowed to put it in toothpaste in had to go through rigorous Testing for FDA approval.

Now as far as there isn't any published data on DE for use to remove gastrointestinal parasites, well the ones that said that are implying that they have gone around the world, asking every professional from universities, extension agencies, other government agencies that conduct any time of avian research as to wether they have ever conducted any research on DE for that purpose. No you cant rely on google because before I set down here tonight I googled my name to see if any of the 30 plus scientific papers I have had published show up and the results were 0. But they sit in my bookshelves so they do exist, so why was the search results 0. Because universities and the government agencies as well as the scientific conferences I had publish for have you sigh a agreement that it is their intellectual property and is copy righted by them. But at least on publication from a extention service exist as I was given one that was authored by 2 PHD vets. Now while I don't have a degree to their level I do trust that they did their homework prior to publishing that documents. But that is just my opinion as the post I wrote clearly stated that was what I was trying and where I received my information.

What baffles me is what is beyond a phd. Because the ganging up that has taken place. I wonder what experience level the other I am talking about have especially beyond a PHD which is where I received my info. I have to admit I have only 35 years experience so I don't know it all. But to put dawn dish soap into a animal with the MSDS I read could and would probably be considered animal cruelty since it says not to be taken internally.

Back
Top Bottom