Worming question

Old 76 Farm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 17, 2014
Central NY Country
Hi all,
I'll be worming my chickens with Zimecterin Gold (Ivermectin 1.55%/Praziquantel 7.75%) paste. I know to give them just a bb size dose each, but I'm not sure if I should withhold food before doing so or after doing so.... or not to withhold food at all?

Does anyone here know?

Hi all,
I'll be worming my chickens with Zimecterin Gold (Ivermectin 1.55%/Praziquantel 7.75%) paste. I know to give them just a bb size dose each, but I'm not sure if I should withhold food before doing so or after doing so.... or not to withhold food at all?

Does anyone here know?

I don't withhold food with Ivermec, not to say if you should or shouldn't but I never have and no worm issues.

AJ

Thank you for your reply. I ended up closing the coop at 5pm last night & waited till 9am to open it & give them the wormer. So they went 16 hrs without food & I'm waiting 3 hrs to feed them just in case. I've never done this before and oh my goodness it was crazy!

I put the wormer inside small pieces of bread. 4 of the 20 would not eat it... two of them roosters, so I ended up putting a glob inside their beaks. Needless to say, I had this stuff all over me. If it obsorbs through skin I will consider myself wormed
big_smile.png

I haven't seen any worms. I was told to worm them every 6 months for their health.

Am I supposed to do this again in 10 days even if I haven't seen any worms?

Yes, repeat the dose in 10 days. Wormers don't get worm eggs or encysted worms, hence the repeat dose. It would also be a good idea to rotate between different wormers. Zimectrin Gold is good to use if you have a problem with tape worms, otherwise a good, broad spectrum wormer like Valbazen or Safeguard are good choices.

Thank you for your reply. I will use different one next time as you suggested, thanks so much for the advice. Should I use Zimecterin Gold again for the 10 days later dose this time, or switch to another for that also?

If you already have it on hand you can go ahead and use the Zimectrin Gold. Otherwise a follow up dose with one of the others would be good as well. Both are very effective, Valbazen is liquid and Safeguard is available in liquid for goats, so they are easy to measure and administer. I go out very early, just before it's light, pluck them off the roost and squirt it in their beak with a needless syringe. Helps to have a helper to hold the birds for you.

Thanks so much for your help! I think I'll go with the Zimecterin Gold again as I bought 2 tubes of it not knowing how much was really inside them.

A helper is in order for next time for sure
big_smile.png

You have been of great help.

I have never withheld food for normal worming. If treating for tape worms it was recommended to me in the past to withhold food for 24 hours prior to worming. We did deal with tapes last summer and I just gave the dewormer first thing in the morning when their crops were empty, then did the repeat dose 10 days later. Sometimes a third dose is required since tapes can be hard to get rid of. But the Praziquantel apparently did it's job, haven't had any more problems so far. But other then that I don't withhold feed.

Back
Top Bottom