1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worming the flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kybeagle, Jun 7, 2011.

1. kybeagle

kybeagle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Is there any kind of wormer that you can use to worm your laying hens and continue to eat the eggs? I have used DE as a wormer but would like to use something else to make sure any worm problem is taken care of!

2. kybeagle

Feb 24, 2010
    Is there not a wormer you can use and still use the eggs, or is it that no one knows of any; or is it just no one is answering? [​IMG]

3. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    Don't know why no one is answering...I wish I knew enough to tell you. I am hoping someone will reply so I can learn too...

4. kybeagle

Feb 24, 2010
    Quote:Thanks for answering anyway Taylor, I was starting to wonder if I was even hooked up to the internet? [​IMG]

5. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Nope, the question is there, and I've ever subscribed to the thread hoping to read an answer since I'm new to birds myself.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You are smart not to trust DE as wormer, it is ineffective when wet...like inside the chickens innards. There's one wormer; Eprinex. However, eprinex kills many types of worms. There's the risk of worm overload causing toxicity that could kill your chickens. You can use valbazen which is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer and it kills all known worms that chickens can get. It has a 14 day withdrawal. But it slowly kills worms over several days, no toxicity to worry about. Then 14 days later you could use the eprinex to kill worm larva since the first worming with valbazen. The eggs would be safe to eat after the 14th day after valbazen usage. There is no egg withdrawal after using eprinex.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  8. kybeagle

Feb 24, 2010
    Quote:Thanks to you and Dawg53 for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by