Worming with DE

It depends on what you mean by hurt.

The meds are safe for the chickens if given in the recommended dosage and methods with the exception of Ivermectin to sensitive individuals...don't know if anyone has the data for that with chickens.

The harm of overworming is developing worms that build up resistance to overused meds...so most recommend rotating your wormers.

Many, myself included, have chosen to keep worm load and chemical use down with herbals and good litter management and only worm periodically. I differ with the natural crowd as I choose to use meds without signs as a matter of course as I believe in being proactive since I also believe that worms are present if you have limited field (small backyard).

I don't rotate as I have chosen to remain within FDA rules for layers used for human consumption...and currently there is only 1 choice. But I avoid the harm of possibly getting sued for using nonsanctioned wormers with layers which I sell eggs from.

Lady of McCamley

I ordered the Rooster Booster multi-wormer today. I plan on using it every 6 mths and do the herbal wormer every 6 wks. I already use ACV. I haven't seen any evidence of worms but like everyone says it's not a matter of if but when.

I ordered the Rooster Booster multi-wormer today. I plan on using it every 6 mths and do the herbal wormer every 6 wks. I already use ACV. I haven't seen any evidence of worms but like everyone says it's not a matter of if but when.

That sounds like a good plan. One thing to remember that I learned with deeper reading...Rooster Boosters wormer will be most effective if used for at least 2 weeks to go through enough of the worm cycle such that it kills the old and the new. I found out it can take up to 6 weeks to eradicate cecal worms. But I think I will just use it for 2 weeks every 6 months (probably spring and fall when worms are most prevalent in my area...warm wet.)

I just did 2 weeks and with careful measurement my can lasted 2 weeks for 15 hens. And I can honestly see a difference...they are shinier, fatter, and using less grain again...all signs of worm depopulation.

Lady of McCamley

Wow, I never even thought about worms. I must have missed that in my research. I guess I've always leaned towards making sure the chickens have plenty of room and are well cared for and they should generally be healthy. I may start having the droppings tested, and if something shows up I'll have to think about whether to medicate. But I'm not one to preemptively medicate my birds, just like I don't spray my fruit trees. While a rare or severe outbreak of something might change my mind, I generally feel like it's not usually worth fighting nature. It doesn't matter if you are raising a chicken or growing a vegetable, if it is constantly being bombarded by pests and fails to thrive in your location, it probably means you need to try a different variety. Also, to get back to the original theme of this thread, I've really tried to like diatomaceous earth, but it never seems to live up to the hype. I'm all for using natural means, and I'm sure it's good for something, but I'm not sure what. Also, it makes me nervous thinking about what it my do to you if it is accidently inhaled.

Wetting down the DE before mixing it with feed negates all possible side effects of it. I use DE year round as wormer for my dogs and I plan to do so with my chickens. The dogs are always catching critters and eating them, so that's why I keep them on the DE all the time. DE can also help with general digestion, and supposedly helps with joint pain as well, so there are multiple reasons to feed it.

Wetting down the DE before mixing it with feed negates all possible side effects of it. I use DE year round as wormer for my dogs and I plan to do so with my chickens. The dogs are always catching critters and eating them, so that's why I keep them on the DE all the time. DE can also help with general digestion, and supposedly helps with joint pain as well, so there are multiple reasons to feed it.

you are so very right i have been using d.e. for years now.. on all my many animals ive had over the years. i always ordered food grade d.e. it has many trace minerals in it that is very benificial to dogs as well as chickens. i am an herbalist and have also saved a many dogs from parvo when the vets gave up. if you would like that recipe ide be glad to give it , please give it to anyone that may need it. connie

Wow, I never even thought about worms. I must have missed that in my research. I guess I've always leaned towards making sure the chickens have plenty of room and are well cared for and they should generally be healthy. I may start having the droppings tested, and if something shows up I'll have to think about whether to medicate. But I'm not one to preemptively medicate my birds, just like I don't spray my fruit trees. While a rare or severe outbreak of something might change my mind, I generally feel like it's not usually worth fighting nature. It doesn't matter if you are raising a chicken or growing a vegetable, if it is constantly being bombarded by pests and fails to thrive in your location, it probably means you need to try a different variety. Also, to get back to the original theme of this thread, I've really tried to like diatomaceous earth, but it never seems to live up to the hype. I'm all for using natural means, and I'm sure it's good for something, but I'm not sure what. Also, it makes me nervous thinking about what it my do to you if it is accidently inhaled.
Commercial layers don't have an issue with worms because they're in cages and don't eat things that have worms.

Some parasitic worms in chickens have a direct life cycle where the eggs are shed, embryonate and then are picked up by the chickens again. Dry and cold conditions can prevent the embryonation. Chickens in warm, moist climates would tend to have a bigger with worms.
Many varieties of worms have secondary or intermediate hosts. Beetles, earthworms, snails, slugs, flies, crickets etc. will be carriers and when the chicken eats those things they pick up the worms. The worms eggs are discarded in feces and picked up by the earthworms and beetles, completing the cycle.

I think it would be unusual for someone living in a cold climate in winter would need to be concerned about worms.

About the only thing I use DE for with chickens is to dust roosts, coop crevices and nest boxes.

If someone is aware of any research citing DE as an effective wormer, I would love to read it.

Just my opinion. I've never used DE for worming but use it in there water for keep them worm free. It does work on worms and there's plenty of research to prove it. Don't take much stock in the researchers that make de-worming products. After all, the tobacco companies still say that cigarettes are safe and Monsanto's research says that Roundup is safe for bees when all other research points to it as the number one cause in the decline of bee populations.

I mix DE in the bedding in the coop, in their water and in their feed. It's not a poison so don't expect those kind of results. It 'shreds' the worms because of it's structure. Imagine a worm crawling through tiny pieces of cut glass. Same principle. On hard shelled insects, it gets in their joints and causes them to dehydrate and die a slow death.

BTW.... Monsanto has purchased the largest bee research company in the U.S. Let's see how long it takes for them to come out tell us that all of the research was wrong and that Roundup is a safe product even though it's been shown to kill bees, cause cancer and birth defects.
roll.png

I also would like to see some true research into DE taken internally by someone reliable. That means someone without an agenda on either side, usually a university study. I would want to see the actual study, what they are testing for, how they set it up and the results, why it works, not just a summary. Way too often people take things out of context in these studies.

Back
Top Bottom