WORMING with Fenbendazole - - How much?

Can anyone advise how much fenbendazole granules to use for pheasants? Its the same dewormer ive always used on my dogs so I'm familiar with the ingredient so when I saw posted on many forums that it was effective for pheasants I just ran out to get it neglecting to read the part that says liquid &/or paste form and those are the only forms I can find advice for on dosaging. I'm sure I can use the granules, right? The question tho is how much? Can I just do the math using standard conversion of ml to mg and dose that way? The only potential issue I see with that method is the fact that the liquid&paste are at 10% concentration (I think) where as the granules I have are 22.2% fenbendazole,which is 222 mg fenbendazole/g. Each box comes with 3 packets, each packet has 4g of granules in them. Pls advise dosage for pheasants being treated for gape worms. PLEASSSEEEE! I'm begging you..&you..&you..&you....everyone! Someone! Anyone?! I don't want to lose my red golden..timing is urgent! I thank you in advance
Your pheasants need 14 mg per pound of body weight orally for five consecutive days. Go get some liquid Safeguard and give 0.14 ml per pound five days in a row.

Birds with gapeworm dont eat, they are too busy trying to breathe in order not to suffocate to death, which will eventually happen. The best way to treat gapeworms is to give a wormer orally ie, Safeguard liquid goat wormer.
Oh...they won't eat at all? He is eating just fine. Its weird because his behavior doesn't seem too much like he's I'll other than the very apparent congested sounding coughing gasping sound he makes while stretching his neck up real tall while shaking/swaying his head from side to side. I need to worm them anyways I'm 99.9% sure the ppl my bf got them from have never done it & I haven't yet in the 3 weeks that ive had them. No input on the fenbendazole granules? Cuz that's what I went out and bought today, thats what I have on hand with me right now. Any idea what it could be then since he is eating and still hops down to greet me and what not..what about his nose being impacted? Any thoughts/input on that?
Thanks so much for your response too BTW I really appreciate it! Seriously! I'm in a panic over here running circles around myself just listening to him gasping,&feeling soo bad cuz all I can do is apologize to him which,as you know, does nothing to help him lol. So any input to help get me going in the right direction instead of just in circles is appreciated more than I'm able to express, seriously. I can't let him die. Me and dying animals of any kind, especially ones ive become fond of &they of me as well, is sooooo NOT a good mix. Its like mixing baking soda and sulfuric acid× 1,000.

Your pheasants need 14 mg per pound of body weight orally for five consecutive days. Go get some liquid Safeguard and give 0.14 ml per pound five days in a row.
I can't use granules? That's what I went and bought today so I have it right now on hand. I'll attach an image of the exact product I got. But its fenbendazole 22.2% or 222mg per g. 4g per packet. 3 packets in total. I figured I could just do what I have always done with my puppies which is just to weigh the pup and then measure out/weigh their dose accordingly. This specific product (SafeGuard 4-for dogs 40lbs&over) is supposed to be given 3 days in a row, and they sell the product for smaller weights as well &it's the same price&the strength of the product is exactly the same,what's different is the amount of product given in each packet. So considering the product isn't super cheap, when youve got 10 pups needing to be dewormed, its SOO much more cost effective to do it the way I described above. I hope what I'm saying makes sense

I know what it is, my suggestion is to return it and get the liquid for goats, the liquid is the most cost-effective way to de-worm, trust me, I've done the math on*all* forms of Safeguard, and granules are more expensive and *much* harder to use than liquid.

If you really want to use it you have to weigh him, then figure then give 14 mg per pound for five days.

I know what it is, my suggestion is to return it and get the liquid for goats, the liquid is the most cost-effective way to de-worm, trust me, I've done the math on*all* forms of Safeguard, and granules are more expensive and *much* harder to use than liquid.

If you really want to use it you have to weigh him, then figure then give 14 mg per pound for five days.
Wonderful! Thank you thats all I've been asking and haven't been able to find or get an answer until now so I appreciate it very much! Although I'm not a fan of just blowing my money by any means, in this particular circumstance, cost isn't at the top of the list as a deciding factor of how I go about this situation. Like I said, I already went out and bought the granules, the $ has already been spent and I want to get this treated immediately. When a living creatures life is on the line, and I physically have the $ or anything needed to save that life, I'm going to give it no questions asked. So its okay for you to get sarcastic with me I really don't mind, cuz in doing so youve also provided me w/ exactly what I've been asking for that I believe is needed to [hopefully] save that life. So again, it is truly appreciated. Sarcasm and all. Thank you, seriously!
On a side note, I believe I mentioned I'm very new to all of this. I'm trying to learn and I am learning as I go. But if I don't ask questions I will remain not knowing. I'm not one for breeding ignorance in myself or anyone else..so when someone asks a question that I know the answer to, I'm more than happy to take that opportunity to help educate that individual. I do not,in any way, see it,nor take it, as an opportunity to mock them or make them feel bad in any way for not knowing. Cuz I remember that at one point in my life, I, too, did not know. We aren't born knowing everything. In fact, were born knowing nothing. We learn as we live&we do that in many different ways. One being, the asking of questions. People too easily forget this.

Wonderful! Thank you thats all I've been asking and haven't been able to find or get an answer until now so I appreciate it very much! Although I'm not a fan of just blowing my money by any means, in this particular circumstance, cost isn't at the top of the list as a deciding factor of how I go about this situation. Like I said, I already went out and bought the granules, the $ has already been spent and I want to get this treated immediately. When a living creatures life is on the line, and I physically have the $ or anything needed to save that life, I'm going to give it no questions asked. So its okay for you to get sarcastic with me I really don't mind, cuz in doing so youve also provided me w/ exactly what I've been asking for that I believe is needed to [hopefully] save that life. So again, it is truly appreciated. Sarcasm and all. Thank you, seriously!
On a side note, I believe I mentioned I'm very new to all of this. I'm trying to learn and I am learning as I go. But if I don't ask questions I will remain not knowing. I'm not one for breeding ignorance in myself or anyone else..so when someone asks a question that I know the answer to, I'm more than happy to take that opportunity to help educate that individual. I do not,in any way, see it,nor take it, as an opportunity to mock them or make them feel bad in any way for not knowing. Cuz I remember that at one point in my life, I, too, did not know. We aren't born knowing everything. In fact, were born knowing nothing. We learn as we live&we do that in many different ways. One being, the asking of questions. People too easily forget this.
Welcome to BYC!

She wasn't being sarcastic. Just trying to pass along the info you need and the reason behind her answer.

Where are you located? I seriously doubt your bird has gapeworm. I would first suspect an upper respiratory issue or crop issue.

Welcome to BYC!

She wasn't being sarcastic. Just trying to pass along the info you need and the reason behind her answer.

Where are you located? I seriously doubt your bird has gapeworm. I would first suspect an upper respiratory issue or crop issue.
Omg I feel like a total butt I COMPLETELY misinterpreted what she had said...I think my lack of sleep is really getting to me lol I didn't realize she was was saying "I know what it is" meaning she's familiar with the granular fenbendazole. Idk why that went over my head completely the first time I read her response... I'm literally shocked by my own stupidity right now lol I took what she said like she was sarcastically saying "ya I know what i suggest ...I suggest you return the wrong stuff and get the right stuff" kind of thing lol. I am sooooooooooooooo soooo soooo sry! Seriously! Pls excuse me &my stupidity. And that was def stupidity,not ignorance lol. Which is super ironic considering I just finished giving an undeserved rant about not breeding ignorance lol. I guess I don't breed ignorance, just stupidity! Lol again, I apologize. Can I just delete my comment and pretend it NEVER happened? Everyone cool with that? Lol
Anyways, I'm in central CA. Fresno to be exact. I have a video clip of him but idk how to upload it. I click attach files, select the one I want which is only a 17 sec clip, its looks as if its uploading starting at 0%,stays that way for awhile, then just crosses out the entire file. Like with a literal line thru it. And thats it. When I post it, it posts my comment without any attachments. Why do you say you doubt its gape worms? I thought those weren't super uncommon in pheasants. The place my bf picked these 2 pheasants up from was a less than ideal environment for them to say the least. They were the only 2 pheasants squished together in a bunny sized cage, tails bent under and all, connected to various other smaller than acceptable cages that housed quails, doves,&various other bird species. I guess the guy said these cages were temporary that he previously had all of those birds in one single larger cage that he recently tore down so he could build a larger one. When we went 3 weeks later to actually pick them up, no cage had been started nor was there any indication he was planning on building one. You cant build a cage without materials. Funny thing is there was a miscommunication between him and I cuz he didn't speak proper English and I don't speak Spanish so we drove there to pick them up and he drove here to drop them off lol. 2 hour drive BTW. So he waited at our house for us to get back and when we do, I see this itty bitty box sitting on the ground by him. That itty bitty box( 2.5ft × <2ft× maybe 9inches tall) had the 2 fully grown adult pheasants in it!! It was bulging at the top and unable to close all the way so he TAPES IT SHUT! Both birds were stuck on that tape. I was pissed&I made the known. He tells my bf it was necessary because their wings aren't clipped. I wasn't having it. After getting the birds off the tape,out of the box &into their temp cage until their actual coop&run are done,my boyfriend is trying to catch one for whatever stupid reason cuz he feels its necessary to hold the bird to ask a question about it and the birds are too fast&flighty. So the guy offers to clip their wings&despite my bf knowing for a damn fact how against that I am, decides its a good idea to allow this dude who has clearly proven hes less than competent in caring for these animals, to chop something off of a living bird! BTW I'm inside with my cockatiels at this point cuz from the second they heard me get back were screaming demanding scritches-theyve trained me well so I obliged. It wasn't until I went out to uncover them in the morning and one of them plummeted straight down from the top perch that I saw the hackjob the idiot did. I was was yelling so angrily loud at my bf I think I woke up the entire neighborhood. I swear to God it looks like he used children's safety scissors and just hacked off what he could get to as the bird flapped around the cage or something idk its bad. He def didn't open up the wing before he cut and he def didn't only chop the flight feathers, he chopped ALL the feathers..probably even some not on the wing lol. Sorry for my long seemingly pointless rant but my intended point was to convey that they came from a horrible environment AND to explain that their chopped wings were not my doing when/if you ever see them ! If you can tell me how to post a video or how i can maybe just sent it to you so you could tell me what you think is going on I'd appreciate it a lot. I also appreciate you bringing to light the fact that I was a total butt( no sarcasm in that either lol I'm dead serious)&doing so in such a nice way! Thank you!

Omg I feel like a total ass now.. I COMPLETELY misinterpreted what she had said...I think my lack of sleep is really getting to me lol I didn't realize she was was saying "I know what it is" meaning she's familiar with the granular fenbendazole. Idk why that went over my head completely the first time I read her response... I'm literally shocked by my own stupidity right now lol I took what she said like she was sarcastically saying "ya I know what i suggest ...I suggest you return the wrong stuff and get the right stuff" kind of thing lol. I am sooooooooooooooo soooo soooo sry! Seriously! Pls excuse me &my stupidity. And that was def stupidity,not ignorance lol. Which is super ironic considering I just finished giving an undeserved rant about not breeding ignorance lol. I guess I don't breed ignorance, just stupidity! Lol again, I apologize. Can I just delete my comment and pretend it NEVER happened? Everyone cool with that? Lol
Anyways, I'm in central CA. Fresno to be exact. I have a video clip of him but idk how to upload it. I click attach files, select the one I want which is only a 17 sec clip, its looks as if its uploading starting at 0%,stays that way for awhile, then just crosses out the entire file. Like with a literal line thru it. And thats it. When I post it, it posts my comment without any attachments. Why do you say you doubt its gape worms? I thought those weren't super uncommon in pheasants. The place my bf picked these 2 pheasants up from was a less than ideal environment for them to say the least. They were the only 2 pheasants squished together in a bunny sized cage, tails bent under and all, connected to various other smaller than acceptable cages that housed quails, doves,&various other bird species. I guess the guy said these cages were temporary that he previously had all of those birds in one single larger cage that he recently tore down so he could build a larger one. When we went 3 weeks later to actually pick them up, no cage had been started nor was there any indication he was planning on building one. You cant build a cage without materials. Funny thing is there was a miscommunication between him and I cuz he didn't speak proper English and I don't speak Spanish so we drove there to pick them up and he drove here to drop them off lol. 2 hour drive BTW. So he waited at our house for us to get back and when we do, I see this itty bitty box sitting on the ground by him. That itty bitty box( 2.5ft × <2ft× maybe 9inches tall) had the 2 fully grown adult pheasants in it!! It was bulging at the top and unable to close all the way so he TAPES IT SHUT! Both birds were stuck on that tape. I was pissed&I made the known. He tells my bf it was necessary because their wings aren't clipped. I wasn't having it. After getting the birds off the tape,out of the box &into their temp cage until their actual coop&run are done,my boyfriend is trying to catch one for whatever stupid reason cuz he feels its necessary to hold the bird to ask a question about it and the birds are too fast&flighty. So the guy offers to clip their wings&despite my bf knowing for a damn fact how against that I am, decides its a good idea to allow this dude who has clearly proven hes less than competent in caring for these animals, to chop something off of a living bird! BTW I'm inside with my cockatiels at this point cuz from the second they heard me get back were screaming demanding scritches-theyve trained me well so I obliged. It wasn't until I went out to uncover them in the morning and one of them plummeted straight down from the top perch that I saw the hackjob the idiot did. I was was yelling so angrily loud at my bf I think I woke up the entire neighborhood. I swear to God it looks like he used children's safety scissors and just hacked off what he could get to as the bird flapped around the cage or something idk its bad. He def didn't open up the wing before he cut and he def didn't only chop the flight feathers, he chopped ALL the feathers..probably even some not on the wing lol. Sorry for my long seemingly pointless rant but my intended point was to convey that they came from a horrible environment AND to explain that their chopped wings were not my doing when/if you ever see them ! If you can tell me how to post a video or how i can maybe just sent it to you so you could tell me what you think is going on I'd appreciate it a lot. I also appreciate you bringing to light the fact that I was a total ass( no sarcasm in that either lol I'm dead serious)&doing so in such a nice way! Thank you!
Lol you're fine!

Gapeworm is typically found in more tropical climates. That's why I question it. Their squalor type conditions sound like a good place for respiratory diseases to spread though.

To upload a video, you must first upload it to a different platform. I use YouTube. Upload your video there, copy the link, post it here.

but idk how to upload it. I click attach files, select the one I want which is only a 17 sec clip,
Upload to youtube or vimeo, then copy and paste the link here.

Omg I feel like a total ass now.. I COMPLETELY misinterpreted what she had
Hey, don't worry about it. :hugs

I am curious, how are you going to give each one the proper amount of the granules?

Last edited:
Lol you're fine!

Gapeworm is typically found in more tropical climates. That's why I question it. Their squalor type conditions sound like a good place for respiratory diseases to spread though.

To upload a video, you must first upload it to a different platform. I use YouTube. Upload your video there, copy the link, post it here.
Oh really?? So gapeworms aren’t something all that common in pheasants here in the states? Let me see if I can get a video uploaded cuz I know if I can show exactly what he’s doing somebody on here should def be able to get me going in the right direction. I’ve went ahead with the deworming anyways only because it’s something that was needed regardless (at least I think[&now hope] it is..I figured they,like dogs, should receive periodic deworming as a preventative measure). I can very confidently say that I’m fairly certain they’ve NEVER been dewormed ever in their life.
In my initial question asked in an attempt to figure out what he may or may not have that’s causing him these symptoms, I do believe I mentioned his nares being COMPLETELY impacted. It honestly looks like someone took cement and filled up his lil nose,& right before it finished curing, they decided to dress it up a bit by dropping in 1 single little seed on only the left hand(or should I say, ‘nostril’! Lol) side. And then the entire beak all around his nares looks like it’s worn/eroded away as if someone just filed it away down to a bone or something. The texture & color of it looks like a literal rock.. I’ll post a picture.
Is it possible his impacted nose is the culprit to all the other gape worm like symptoms? Who knows how long this poor baby has been like this cuz when we got him 3-4 weeks ago it was already like this. This is the first time I’ve EVER had pheasants (idk why I’m even admitting this right now, but uhmmm, it kinda,might,maybe, definitely be the first I’ve ever even seen a pheasant!!!yes, you read that right. Don’t judge me. Lol) so I really didn’t know what to make of it,if it would go away on its own. I’m positive that it’s def not going away on its own and it is a big problem for him.. he absolutely mouth breaths and it always gets worse at night. All his symptoms always get worse at night/when it gets colder..the mouth breathing, the coughing/gasping,everything. Does the fact that it gets worse at night/when it gets colder mean anything? I know I need to clean them out but I’m REALLLLLLYYYYYY struggling with the idea of having to restrain him&do what needs to be done. I swear to you it’s so much harder for me than it is for them... how do I hold him?Do I towel him? From there what should I do? Should I try flushing them or just hold a warm cloth over his nose to try and soften up the gunk? I don’t want to over stress him....... ughhh I wish they had opposable thumbs & a slightly larger brain so they could do it themseves..or at least just understand that we’re doing what’s necessary to help them/save their life Instead of acting as if we’re trying to torture them!
Anyone here ever trained their pheasants to clean their own nose? If so, I’m ALL ears.. tell me everything! Lol

Back
Top Bottom