WORMING with Fenbendazole - - How much?

I'm trying to treat roundworms. I gave a pea size amount to each bird today. I wasn't sure if I needed to reworm in 10 days , or just leave it.
A pea size amount might not be enough. A pea size blob only has 25-30 mg and I am not sure how effective that is in treating roundworms. Regardless of the amount you use, you will need to treat again in 10 days.

A pea size amount might not be enough. A pea size blob only has 25-30 mg and I am not sure how effective that is in treating roundworms. Regardless of the amount you use, you will need to treat again in 10 days.
Repeat in 10 days using the same wormer? Or something different? Thank you for your reply.

Ok. So. I found this thread while searching for any dosage of fenbendazole.....didn't care if it was giving directly, or in the water. Between this thread and some of my own research I have come to this conclusion. Now, I'm not saying this is right or wrong. But I'm starting it tomorrow.

Someone mentioned aquasol. Well, while searching fenbendazole and chicken dosage I found a link to the product information for safe-guard auqasole. Come to find out....it is 200mg/ml......my regular goat fenbendazole is 100mg/ml. The manufacturer directions on the product info to the aquasole said 1ml/kg.....after doing the math and rounding up (it is a safe drug and hard to over dose....I use it on puppies and dogs also).....it came to 8ml per gallon of the GOAT fenbendazole which is 100mg/ml (10%) for 5 days.

Also, from my experience with worms.....many have a gestational period of approx 2 weeks. I know many repeat in 10 days. But I repeat in 2 weeks with my pups....and my families said all of their fecal's are clear. Now I know we are talking two completely different species lol. But that is what I'm going to do.

I hope this helps someone. Have a great day everyone.

Here is the link to the product info:

https://www.cvear.com/wp-content/up...ens-Labeling-Front-143540_R5-Apr-2015-3-2.pdf

So......here is a follow up on the dosage. I decided to deworm my chickens because my rooster was not acting well. Not crowing, didn't come out of the coop much, not breeding, and......had a head shake. I had already checked for mites....none. The rest of my flock is acting fine.

So......today is day 3.......he came out of the coop. No head shake. Is crowing. And breeding.

I'm thrilled. He isn't up to par yet. But this is a fantastic improvement. He has not crowed for almost 2 weeks.

So another update. I also use toltrazuril on my pups for coccidia. Did some more research and used 6ml of 5% per gallon of water for 2 days. With all of that.....he is 100% back to normal. And my girls egg production is taking off.

Oh ok I read about safe gard but as new member and newbie with chicken why we have to treat on winter can we treat them on summer and is better in water or feed please help thanks.

Oh ok I read about safe gard but as new member and newbie with chicken why we have to treat on winter can we treat them on summer and is better in water or feed please help thanks.
Welcome To BYC

Can you tell us where you live? Country/State?

I'm not sure about your question about having to treat in winter? The time of year doesn't matter if your chickens have worms and need to be treated.

If possible, getting a fecal float performed by your vet for confirmation of worms is best.
Otherwise, de-worm your birds as you feel they need de-worming - say you see worms in the poop, they are not acting well, etc.

Fenbendazole is given orally by weight (you dose each birds directly). I'm sure you may find other info about putting it in water/feed - but personally, I would direct oral dose birds that way I'm positive they are getting the medication.

To treat Roundworms only Fenbendazole dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

To treat other worms including Roundworms Fenbendazole dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row.

Back
Top Bottom