WORMING with Fenbendazole - - How much?

Pics
I think my chicken whose comb gets lighter as the day progresses may have ear mites/lice. She loves to have her ears scratched. She shuts her eye and almost leans into it like a dog would....
I have a couple of hens that do the same thing when I scratch their ears and they dont have lice or mites. They just like to be scratched there.
The only way to tell if there are ear mites (or other problems) is to gently raise the "ear flap" and look closely inside the ear canal. It should be clean/clear and free of debris; free of anything that looks like ear wax, yellow/green discharge, dirt, black or brown specks looking like ground pepper etc...
The most important place on a chicken to inspect for external parasites is around the vent area where it's warm and moist. There's no need to use a miteacide if you dont see external parasites. Also, inspect roosts at night with a flashlight and see if there any parasites crawling around, they will be very tiny. Let us know if you see anything out of the ordinary.

The most important place on a chicken to inspect for external parasites is around the vent area where it's warm and moist.
I think this is always a good place to check, but several species of lice live on different parts of the body. I always check legs, vent, back, wings, belly, neck and head.
There's no need to use a miteacide if you dont see external parasites.
Would it surprise you to know that I have checked a few and found no bugs, but threated them anyway. I then placed them in a box on paper towels and came back 30 minutes later to find tons of dead lice.

Last edited:
I think this is always a good place to check, but several species of lice live on different parts of the body. I always check legs, vent, back, wings, belly, neck and head.
Would it surprise you to know that I have checked a few and found no bugs, but threated them anyway. I then placed them in a box on paper towels and came back 30 minutes later to find tons of dead lice.[/QUOT
You're right, the whole body has to be inspected for lice no matter where they feed. Fluid intake for lice are the eyes and vent, those are the key places to start looking for them, then go from there. The only good louse is a dead louse.
As far as not seeing lice and then treating, then finding dead lice on paper towels...I've never had that happen. I've seen them on the chicken(s) and treated accordingly. Also if there's a severe lice infestation, birds continually preen, dust bathe alot and even pull their own feathers due to the irritation. I saw that happen to a White Rock and RIR rooster I acquired years ago from someone. Sevin dust did the trick back then. I've switched to Permethrin since.
I had a minor lice problem 2 years ago and the Sevin dust was ineffective which surprised me! The Permethrin dust and spray took care of it. It's good to have back-up.
Spraying bleachwater inside coops and nests in an emergency kills lice and mites, but there's no persistency.

What's the best way to spray a chicken with pyrethrin mixed in water?

Do I need to douse them? Spay bottle mist? Dunk them in a bucket? I'm assuming I don't want it in their eyes/noses.

What's the best way to spray a chicken with pyrethrin mixed in water?

Do I need to douse them? Spay bottle mist? Dunk them in a bucket? I'm assuming I don't want it in their eyes/noses.
How did your worming treatment go?
Treated mine again for tape on Tuesday 8th and today Wednesday 16tg they appeared again in a few poos. So frustrating

Quote:

Hi,
Switch to cattle grade DIATOMACEOUS EARTH.

http://www.arbico-organics.com/prod...h-50lb/natural-insecticides-garden-greenhouse

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

And for dusting chickens;

http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/Dustin-Mizer-Garden-Duster/garden-tools-supplies

Joe

Or long-time, high stock rate, large acreage breeder. Good for a helping keep numbers down but if that's all you use, you'll have dead chickens. Lots of things to support the system to reduce how many times you need to use chemicals.

Been there, done that, it doesnt work...ask any vet.

Thanks Kathy..... I will have to give it a try next year.

The pour on sounded like a dream.... but it takes forever to apply it when you have a mess of chickens. Then to reapply in two weeks
barnie.gif

I made it through 4 pens of chickens with the second application BUT I never got to the 5th pen for the second application.

I need to return to a mix in the waterer system. I take it from the previous post that the wormer is not meant to be mixed in water ? ? ?
The pour on Ivermectin is super easy. You do it at night whilst they're sleeping. 80 birds. 45 minutes. Done.:celebrate

Hi! I know this is an older thread and I'm sorry if this question has already been answered, but I was wondering if I need to re-worm my chickens 10 days after giving them the safeguard paste? ( i just gave the first dose today) And if so, with safegaurd again? Or something else?

Hi! I know this is an older thread and I'm sorry if this question has already been answered, but I was wondering if I need to re-worm my chickens 10 days after giving them the safeguard paste? ( i just gave the first dose today) And if so, with safegaurd again? Or something else?
What worms are you hoping to treat?
How much paste are you giving?
How many days in a row are you going to give it?

Back
Top Bottom