WORMING with Fenbendazole - - How much?

Well I did get the eprinex at TSC $42. Don't tell my wife. What she doesn't know, won't hurt me. I looked at Jeffers btw and they didn't have it. I don't know why, but now that I think of it, it may have been listed under bovine meds instead of poultry. I have no idea why anyone would want to use Wazine which is what they had listed.

Quote:
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
GOOD JOB - - I know you have thought about this for a long time. Your birds will be so thankful ! ! Good timing too, since the hens aren't laying that well right now !

I found this helpful, from an old thread ....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2525157#p2525157

Quote:
You sound experienced - you're certain it was a roundworm - not a tape? Because the treatment would be different? I just want to "dot my i's and cross my t's" here.
smile.png
It wasn't flat and segmented, but thin and round?

Piperazine's (Wazine) mechanism of action is indeed that it paralyzes the worm, causing it to be expelled. Roundworms do not live for very long outside their host. So you need not be concerned about having to retrieve them. But that's one reason why I follow up with something that DOES kill them.

They do also excyst and travel, as larvae, to the lungs of the animal at one point in their development. From there they are coughed back up and reenter the digestive tract where they become adults. There they are treatable by all roundworm-effective antihelmintics. You likely know this, but this is more for someone else who might read this and not know.

If you see a bird passing a worm, it's more likely that they have a large infestation since (as you well know) you will otherwise rarely see worms in poultry. So really, unless you do a fecal egg count to show how many eggs are being shed, one must assume there COULD be a large number of worms both in the intestines and the lungs.

If you kill all of the roundworms at once, then you have these dead worms that need to be expelled. If a bird's body is presented with a high number of dead worms, they can sometimes have an anaphylactic reaction to what has essentially become a "foreign protein" in their body. Alternately, there have been cases where a large number of dead worms being expelled from the body have caused blockage.

So that's why I always recommend Wazine first. If there are a large number of roundworms (and again we have to assume it's possible unless proven otherwise by an egg count), then you won't risk the "dead worm" foreign protein effect. Because Wazine is a repeated wormer, it's less effective and you won't overload the bird with passing worms if there's a huge infestation. If there are few, you might just get them all. But it's meant to be repeated.

Instead of repeating the wazine, I like the more broad spectrum wormers that also effect cecal worms, and even external parasites, and actually paralyze as well as KILL the parasites. I'm not sure whether or not it works on the lung parasites, and would suppose it depends on the wormer. Personally I use pour-on ivermectin which doesn't go through the digestive system but through the tissues. So it would be most likely to do so. I'm looking that up now actually because I don't know. It says "immature" but I'm not sure they mean in the lungs, though I really think they do.

But since ivermectin (and fenbendazole, and levamisole, and other broad-spectrum wormers) DO kill a number of other parasites (that may not shed through the feces) I like to knock down the numbers first with wazine. Also because ivermectin kills adult and immature roundworms, I take the safe gamble and do the weaker treatment first. Then go back and blast both adult and immature worms.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry rancher hicks, my fault. I shouldve mentioned that eprinex is a cattle wormer. For future reference if you decide to get valbazen, it's a cattle and sheep wormer. Dont worry, I wont say anything to your wife, my lips are sealed....dunno about math ace though Hahahahaha (just kidding!!!)

Quote:
Sorry rancher hicks, my fault. I shouldve mentioned that eprinex is a cattle wormer. For future reference if you decide to get valbazen, it's a cattle and sheep wormer. Dont worry, I wont say anything to your wife, my lips are sealed....dunno about math ace though Hahahahaha (just kidding!!!)

I don't see nothing, I don't hear nothing. I don't know nothing . .. . .

REMEMBER, I am the one hiding 36 eggs in my incubator - - - What Dh don't know won't hurt him for . . .oh . . . 21 days or so
gig.gif

Well the box says there is no milk or meat withdrawal so I figure it's good. You would've thunk with all the organic, free range, pasture fed chicken business going on someone would target us chicken people with a wormer just for us. Looks like i'm going to be writing a letter to these wormer companies.

Well take care, places to go, people to annoy.

Rancher

Quote:
Hi,
Switch to cattle grade DIATOMACEOUS EARTH.

http://www.arbico-organics.com/prod...h-50lb/natural-insecticides-garden-greenhouse

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

And for dusting chickens;

http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/Dustin-Mizer-Garden-Duster/garden-tools-supplies

Joe

I do use Diatomaceous earth and while it may be ok for mites and cooties it does not work for worms, or it hasn't for me. I'm just assuming my birds have worms since one died and I think it was gape worm. I'm taking no chances just the same. I've seen no mite either but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Beside what one doesn't get the other will, better safe than sorry.

Quote:
I am with you on that prevention thing. I've never had mites and from what I hear they are NASTY to get rid of. . . That is why I dip my birds - - -just like I would a dog - - - every few months. Now it is too cold for me to do it until next summer. I wormed and dipped my birds in September. So, I should be good until Dec. I don't know what I will do then. MAYbe, I will just adams spray the coop and perches and NOT the birds.

Do you guys put Sevin in the run or around the outside of the run ? ? I am concerned about them eating something that got sevin on it. . . .

Back
Top Bottom