WORMING with Fenbendazole - - How much?

Pics
I clean their house out once a week, after I put fresh hay down on the floor and in nests....I give the hay a light dusting with sevin. I dont put it down in their run. We've used sevin for many years in the garden, on the dogs with no problems. I've dusted my chickens with it as well with no issues. I've used DE to dry out the run after a rain or when the humidity is high.

Quote:
That works for me in the winter months when it is too cold for adams. Do you not worrying about the run because mites like dark places ? ? Do you treat outside of the run - - like the perimeter ? ?

Quote:
That works for me in the winter months when it is too cold for adams. Do you not worrying about the run because mites like dark places ? ? Do you treat outside of the run - - like the perimeter ? ?

Fortunately I've never had that problem. I've had chickens now for 5 years and there's only been 2 times I've seen lice....on one hen earlier this year and a White Rock rooster 4 years ago. In each case neither was an infestation, but you know the drill...had to dust all of them and their house etc, then repeat again in 10 days grrrr. I think the light dusting I put in the fresh hay each week.... the chickens get some of it on them and prevents any bugs from getting on them. Also it would be impossible to dust every nook and cranie in the run, the yard and so on, just not feasible and in my case it would be costly lol. So, I wouldnt worry too much about it if I were you.

My chickens were wormed with wazine the first time I dewormed them and then with Fendbendazole. This time, I am just deworming with Fenbendazole paste. Is just 1 dose enough (pea size) or do I need to give it to them again in 10-14 days? Does the Fenbendazole kill the eggs too?

Quote:
You need to re-worm in the 10 - 14 day window to catch the hatching eggs. The first time it only kills what is alive, not the eggs.

I have never heard of repeating it in 10-14 days before.
idunno.gif

Since it is "molting season," you may not want to use this.
Information from:
http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

Fenbendazole Treatments

One-day Treatment

1 oz Safeguard or Panacur per 15-20 lb feed

Dissolve the fenbendazole product in one cup of water. Mix this solution well into the feed and give to the birds as their only feed source for one day. When completely consumed, untreated feed can be given. Be sure that the commercial medication contains 10% fenbendazole.

Safeguard is a product of Ralston Purina, and Panacur is a product marketed by American Hoechst. One ounce of medication will treat about 1000 10-oz bobwhite quail. Adjustments of the amounts of medication and feed needed may be necessary depending on the number and size of the birds.

Three-Day Treatment

1.2 oz Safeguard or Panacur in 100 lb feed
-or-
4 oz pkt of "Worm-A-Rest Litter Pack" (Ralston Purina) in 50 lb feed
-or-
5 lb bag of "Worm-A-Rest Mix Pack" in 495 lb feed

Feed all the medicated feeds free-choice for three consecutive days. The feed mixtures provide 75 ppm fenbendazole. Quail will receive about 1.7 mg/bird each day for adult birds or 2.75 mg/lb of bodyweight.

Fenbendazole has been shown to be a very effective treatment for eliminating Capillaria (capillary worms), Heterakis (cecal worms), Ascaridia (roundworms), and Syngamus spp. (gapeworms). Toxicity from overdosing with fenbendazole is very remote. Research indicates that amounts up to 100 times the recommended dosages have been given under research conditions without adverse effects to the birds. Use of this product during molt, however, may cause deformity of the emerging feathers.

Last edited:
I dont recommend safeguard products (fenbendazole/panacur) just before or anytime molting. Feather regrowth will look mangled, ugly and all bent out of shape. I know, I had it happen long ago. Use valbazen (albendazole) or eprinex during molt instead.

Darn! I did not know the Safeguard was not okay for molting chickens. I dewormed them last week and they are molting. I actually chose to deworm them at this time since they weren't laying well and I wouldn't have to toss so many eggs. I guess my strategy wasn't so great.

Last edited:
The univeristy of Mississppi does warn not to use Safegaurd during a molt due to feather damage at regrowth.

I know I have read about the retreatment period with most wormers.....

This is what I found right here on BYC - - -

Worms

All three wormers have the standard two week withdrawal period (do not eat eggs or slaughter for consumption before the end of the withdrawal period). It is best to to do a second worming 10-14 days after the initial worming to kill larva that the first dosing might have missed, effectively ending the worms reproduction and life cycle. It's best to use Valbazen first (it slowly kills worms over several days preventing toxic worm overload) then 10 days later repeat worming with Safeguard.

Wazine - the only wormer labeled for use in chickens, but it only treats large round worms. Follow label instructions.

Valbazen (albendazole) - a liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Dosage is given orally, 1/2cc for standard size chickens and 1/4cc for smaller chickens.

Safeguard paste (fenbendazole) - an equine wormer. Dosage is a "pea" size amount given to each chicken orally. Safeguard liquid goat wormer is given orally; 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large chickens/roosters, 1/2cc for standard size and 1/4cc for smaller chickens.

in this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6580204

I
will see if I can find a more "official" reference to the retreatment with safegaurd
smile.png

This is another mention of the 10 day retreatment of Safegaurd

Because wormers can affect fertility, many breeders worm in early May, late August and again in early November (depending on where you live and when breeding season starts). SafeGuard can be put in the drinking water at a dose of 3cc per gallon for 3-4 days. After 10 days "off", repeat the wormer. SafeGuard kills adult worms but not worm eggs. Waiting 10 days before the follow-up treatment allows those eggs to hatch so you can kill the new adult worms. Try to rotate through 2-3 different wormers over the course of a couple of years, as the birds can develop a resistance to one wormer if it's used consistently. You can also worm with Valbazen, ivermectin and levasole. (Ivermectin does not kill capillaria worms.) All these can also be added to drinking water.

It is from a peafowl web site....
http://www.upaforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1557&sid=bf9b66448830435bc4e26df888d5e7bf

Back
Top Bottom