WORMING with Fenbendazole - - How much?

Oh really?? So gapeworms aren’t something all that common in pheasants here in the states? Let me see if I can get a video uploaded cuz I know if I can show exactly what he’s doing somebody on here should def be able to get me going in the right direction. I’ve went ahead with the deworming anyways only because it’s something that was needed regardless (at least I think[&now hope] it is..I figured they,like dogs, should receive periodic deworming as a preventative measure). I can very confidently say that I’m fairly certain they’ve NEVER been dewormed ever in their life.
In my initial question asked in an attempt to figure out what he may or may not have that’s causing him these symptoms, I do believe I mentioned his nares being COMPLETELY impacted. It honestly looks like someone took cement and filled up his lil nose,& right before it finished curing, they decided to dress it up a bit by dropping in 1 single little seed on only the left hand(or should I say, ‘nostril’! Lol) side. And then the entire beak all around his nares looks like it’s worn/eroded away as if someone just filed it away down to a bone or something. The texture & color of it looks like a literal rock.. I’ll post a picture.
Is it possible his impacted nose is the culprit to all the other gape worm like symptoms? Who knows how long this poor baby has been like this cuz when we got him 3-4 weeks ago it was already like this. This is the first time I’ve EVER had pheasants (idk why I’m even admitting this right now, but uhmmm, it kinda,might,maybe, definitely be the first I’ve ever even seen a pheasant!!!yes, you read that right. Don’t judge me. Lol) so I really didn’t know what to make of it,if it would go away on its own. I’m positive that it’s def not going away on its own and it is a big problem for him.. he absolutely mouth breaths and it always gets worse at night. All his symptoms always get worse at night/when it gets colder..the mouth breathing, the coughing/gasping,everything. Does the fact that it gets worse at night/when it gets colder mean anything? I know I need to clean them out but I’m REALLLLLLYYYYYY struggling with the idea of having to restrain him&do what needs to be done. I swear to you it’s so much harder for me than it is for them... how do I hold him?Do I towel him? From there what should I do? Should I try flushing them or just hold a warm cloth over his nose to try and soften up the gunk? I don’t want to over stress him....... ughhh I wish they had opposable thumbs & a slightly larger brain so they could do it themseves..or at least just understand that we’re doing what’s necessary to help them/save their life Instead of acting as if we’re trying to torture them!
Anyone here ever trained their pheasants to clean their own nose? If so, I’m ALL ears.. tell me everything! Lol
From the sound of his previous home, in sure wormer won't hurt him.

Try to get a video of his behavior. Copy and paste the link to the video here. Pics of his nares would be a good idea too.

I'm sure that if his nares are as clogged as you say they are, he is probably only able to breathe through his mouth. That would explain the "gaping". They do need to be cleaned out. What they're clogged with will determine whether any further steps need to be taken.

Clogged nares are typical for a respiratory disease, sinus canker or debris from inhaling feed dust or dust from a dirt bath. In this instance I suspect some sort of respiratory disease with mucus building up in the trachea. A chicken shakes its head, open its mouth to breathe properly (gaping) and stretches its neck or maybe even scratch its neck to try and loosen the mucus plug to no avail...very similar to gapeworm symptoms.
Another possibility are capillary worms in the crop, but since the chicken is eating normally, I doubt it.
A fecal sample examined under a microscope will let you know what type of worms your birds have, if any at all.

Copy/paste here without the strikethrough so I can read it.
Oh really?? So gapeworms aren’t something all that common in pheasants here in the states? Let me see if I can get a video uploaded cuz I know if I can show exactly what he’s doing somebody on here should def be able to get me going in the right direction. I’ve went ahead with the deworming anyways only because it’s something that was needed regardless (at least I think[&now hope] it is..I figured they,like dogs, should receive periodic deworming as a preventative measure). I can very confidently say that I’m fairly certain they’ve NEVER been dewormed ever in their life.
In my initial question asked in an attempt to figure out what he may or may not have that’s causing him these symptoms, I do believe I mentioned his nares being COMPLETELY impacted. It honestly looks like someone took cement and filled up his lil nose,& right before it finished curing, they decided to dress it up a bit by dropping in 1 single little seed on only the left hand(or should I say, ‘nostril’! Lol) side. And then the entire beak all around his nares looks like it’s worn/eroded away as if someone just filed it away down to a bone or something. The texture & color of it looks like a literal rock.. I’ll post a picture.
Is it possible his impacted nose is the culprit to all the other gape worm like symptoms? Who knows how long this poor baby has been like this cuz when we got him 3-4 weeks ago it was already like this. This is the first time I’ve EVER had pheasants (idk why I’m even admitting this right now, but uhmmm, it kinda,might,maybe, definitely be the first I’ve ever even seen a pheasant!!!yes, you read that right. Don’t judge me. Lol) so I really didn’t know what to make of it,if it would go away on its own. I’m positive that it’s def not going away on its own and it is a big problem for him.. he absolutely mouth breaths and it always gets worse at night. All his symptoms always get worse at night/when it gets colder..the mouth breathing, the coughing/gasping,everything. Does the fact that it gets worse at night/when it gets colder mean anything? I know I need to clean them out but I’m REALLLLLLYYYYYY struggling with the idea of having to restrain him&do what needs to be done. I swear to you it’s so much harder for me than it is for them... how do I hold him?Do I towel him? From there what should I do? Should I try flushing them or just hold a warm cloth over his nose to try and soften up the gunk? I don’t want to over stress him....... ughhh I wish they had opposable thumbs & a slightly larger brain so they could do it themseves..or at least just understand that we’re doing what’s necessary to help them/save their life Instead of acting as if we’re trying to torture them!
Anyone here ever trained their pheasants to clean their own nose? If so, I’m ALL ears.. tell me everything! Lol

I thought I read that you should give safeguard goat wormer by weight. 1/2cc for standards. Then I saw it somewhere else that to give quite a bit more that it’s metabolized quickly and won’t harm them. Dawg53, help a girl out here. I have a sick chicken on my hands. How much and how often?

I thought I read that you should give safeguard goat wormer by weight. 1/2cc for standards. Then I saw it somewhere else that to give quite a bit more that it’s metabolized quickly and won’t harm them. Dawg53, help a girl out here. I have a sick chicken on my hands. How much and how often?
Were you able to help your chicken? It can be dosed in the water if you have a large flock to care for, which would make it easier. I know I'm late but just came across your post and wanted to say Welcome to BYC :welcome

Verm-X is advertized in BY poultry and has no withdrawl period. It does say to use monthly and is expensive at that rate. I figure there has to be a better way. I doubt the birds would get infected in the winter if they are clean going into it. So that gives me 6 months here in NY.

Still I won't stop til I find a better way.

The UK advertises a wormer with no withdraw but I don't know if I can order it from here. I wonder if I can get it in Canada. Flubenvet I think it's called.

I wonder if there is something safe to spread in the yard to kill parasites or reduce their numbers that is safe for the birds.

Flubevent is fenbendazole under another name. I went down that rabbit hole. In NY when the ground freezes, it kills the eggs of the gape worm. Unfortunately, earthworms are carriers for the gape worm. So, deworming it must become a practice.

It's symptoms shows as a limping, severe mass loss (seemingly wasting away,) rasping, gasping, wheezing in dogs and poultry: geese, waterfowl, chickens... The gape worm is ingested, hatches, matures, then migrates through the system causing damage through it's rampage to it's destination in the windpipe. It then latches on and dangles in the windpipe restricting air flow. There it sheds it's eggs for the next cycle. Fenbendazole is rough on the system of the birds. However, the worms are even rougher especially not treated.

Flubevent is fenbendazole under another name. I went down that rabbit hole. In NY when the ground freezes, it kills the eggs of the gape worm. Unfortunately, earthworms are carriers for the gape worm. So, deworming it must become a practice.

It's symptoms shows as a limping, severe mass loss (seemingly wasting away,) rasping, gasping, wheezing in dogs and poultry: geese, waterfowl, chickens... The gape worm is ingested, hatches, matures, then migrates through the system causing damage through it's rampage to it's destination in the windpipe. It then latches on and dangles in the windpipe restricting air flow. There it sheds it's eggs for the next cycle. Fenbendazole is rough on the system of the birds. However, the worms are even rougher especially not treated.
Flubenvet is NOT fenbendazole. However, it is in the same group of wormers known as Benzimidazoles.

Dogs dont get gapeworms.

Fenbendazole is not rough on birds system. It is called "Safe"Guard for a reason. It is also known as Panacur.

You're correct. Worms can take a toll on birds.

Back
Top Bottom