Worming with Horse Wormer

please excuse this simple girl please tell me amount of paste per lg or samall birds not grams . iam lost .
idunno.gif
or valperasion.
What is valperasion? The amount of paste or liquid Safeguard I use is .2-.5 ml per 2.2 pounds 3-5 days in a row.

-Kathy

FYI, ignore the dosing instruction on the tubes and bottles 'cause cows, goats and horses get way less per pound than poultry, dogs and cats.

-Kathy

A Rhode Island Red hen would get .6-1.5 ml 3-5 days in a row.
A Rhode Island Red rooster would get .8-2.0 ml 3-5 days in a row.

-Kathy

Last edited:
thank you Kathy so much working and careing for the flock sure takes time but I love them, don't want them sick, do you use de, in your coop? or in their dusting area.. whats good for cleaning the coop best, like today using vinegar, and dawn on roost.
thumbsup.gif

we have a lot of rain in nc.makes the coop area a mess.

It's your choice. I prefer to give it 3 days in a row. I also worm often due to our wet/warm soil conditions.

So if you worm them 3 days in a row, do still do it again in 10 days?
Never mind. My answer was a post or two further down.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for putting this information out there.

I am new to the chicken thing, I have 6 chickens (2 EE, 1 BO, 1 red sex-link, 2 polish). Last week I noticed something that looked like a worm on the droppings board, but sometimes they dig up old string, etc from the run so I decided just to wait and watch. Today I saw what looked like a round worm in some poop so was convinced we have worms.

After all of the reading, I decided to deworm them and picked up some Safeguard. The chickens weren't too keen on the flavor, so I held them while my husband put a pea size down their gullet. They didn't like it, but they seemed ok.

I am a little confused if I should repeat for the next 3 days, or just repeat in 10 days. Also, should I expect to find more worms that have been excreted?

Another questions, my 2 dogs love chicken poop after the girls have free ranged in the yard. Should I prophylactically treat my dogs?

Thanks everyone!

Thank you everyone for putting this information out there.

I am new to the chicken thing, I have 6 chickens (2 EE, 1 BO, 1 red sex-link, 2 polish). Last week I noticed something that looked like a worm on the droppings board, but sometimes they dig up old string, etc from the run so I decided just to wait and watch. Today I saw what looked like a round worm in some poop so was convinced we have worms.

After all of the reading, I decided to deworm them and picked up some Safeguard. The chickens weren't too keen on the flavor, so I held them while my husband put a pea size down their gullet. They didn't like it, but they seemed ok.

I am a little confused if I should repeat for the next 3 days, or just repeat in 10 days. Also, should I expect to find more worms that have been excreted?

Another questions, my 2 dogs love chicken poop after the girls have free ranged in the yard. Should I prophylactically treat my dogs?

Thanks everyone!

Since you used the paste, redose in 10 days. You may or may not see worms excreted in feces after worming. Most of the time they are absorbed in the digestive tract and not excreted. Chicken worms cannot infect your dogs and visa versa.

Thanks for the reply. There were 2 piles of worms in liquid stool this morning....ick. Will give them a second dose next week.

Back
Top Bottom