Worming with Safeguard Goat Wormer

I think the worms in that picture are roundworms, and the ones in the German link are a type of earthworm.

Last edited:
That amount is highly unlikely to treat *any* worms, especially tapeworms. For tapeworms, you could try Safeguard 3-5 days in a row, but some people have reported that it's not very effective. Dose would be 0.23 ml per pound for 5 days.

If you want to be treat tapes, the best way is with praziquantel, which you will find in tubes of Equimax horse paste. Dose is 0.03 ml per pound orally, so a five pound chicken would get 0.16 ml.

-Kathy
I don't want to reinvent the wheel so I'm bumping this thread. I had a bird drop this on the poop board overnight last night...

IMG_9459.JPG

I went to Agway and TS looking for valbazen, but couldn't find any so I settled on Safeguard liquid for goats with the 10% suspension. I found this thread for the dosing instructions indicating 0.23mL/lb of bodyweight so a 10lb bird would receive a 2.3mL dose. However, the label states it is 2.3mg/lb and that to achieve this 2.3mL is given for every 100lbs of bodyweight. So a 25lb goat only receives 0.6mL orally and an 8-10lb chicken would be closer to 0.2mL. Maybe I need to reread this thread again. To be on the safe side, the birds I medicated received 0.2mL each this evening. Am I correct on this? Here's images of the labels.

IMG_9524.JPG IMG_9525.JPG

Back
Top Bottom