Worming with Wazine

Since I was undermedicating my girls, I am wondering if I should keep them on the Corid longer than 5 days?

Since I was undermedicating my girls, I am wondering if I should keep them on the Corid longer than 5 days?
I would do 5 days at 2 teaspoons per gallon, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days. Most of the posts don't say the 7-14 bit, but that is what the mfg and FDA recommend.

So does the pour on ivermectin also kill the adult worms along with the larve?
I already wormed with wazine. The next day i saw dead worms in their poop. So 10 days after the worming, i use the ivermectin? Did the one treatment of wazine kill ALL of the adult worms?

Quote:

The "don't use on birds intended for consumption" means immediate consumption. The "withdrawal" time (the time that you eat neither the birds nor their eggs) is officially 14 days.

Wazine must be repeated and only kills adult worms, not larvae. You will want to retreat in 2-4 weeks with a wormer that does kill larvae. Otherwise you have to keep using wazine over and over to kill the larvae that become adults.

Ivermectin and fenbendazole are the easiest to get and are effective and, though labeled for horses/cattle/swine, are great for poultry.

Ivermectin: pour-on, injectable (used orally), or horse-paste. Ask for dosage. 10 day withdrawal.
Fenbendazole (Safe-Guard): horse paste. bb-sized piece in the beak of each bird; 14 day withdrawal.

Do please worm first with Wazine. THen follow up with the more broad spectrum wormers and do them at least twice annually thereafter. Aim for when birds aren't laying so you don't have to toss their eggs. You CAN feed their eggs back to them during withdrawal.

So does the pour on ivermectin also kill the adult worms along with the larve?
I already wormed with wazine. The next day i saw dead worms in their poop. So 10 days after the worming, i use the ivermectin? Did the one treatment of wazine kill ALL of the adult worms?

Since you saw worms after treating with Wazine, repeat Wazine in 10-14 day.

Quote:

The "don't use on birds intended for consumption" means immediate consumption. The "withdrawal" time (the time that you eat neither the birds nor their eggs) is officially 14 days.

Wazine must be repeated and only kills adult worms, not larvae. You will want to retreat in 2-4 weeks with a wormer that does kill larvae. Otherwise you have to keep using wazine over and over to kill the larvae that become adults.

Ivermectin and fenbendazole are the easiest to get and are effective and, though labeled for horses/cattle/swine, are great for poultry.

Ivermectin: pour-on, injectable (used orally), or horse-paste. Ask for dosage. 10 day withdrawal.
Fenbendazole (Safe-Guard): horse paste. bb-sized piece in the beak of each bird; 14 day withdrawal.

Do please worm first with Wazine. THen follow up with the more broad spectrum wormers and do them at least twice annually thereafter. Aim for when birds aren't laying so you don't have to toss their eggs. You CAN feed their eggs back to them during withdrawal.
Threehorses...I know this is a old thread. Just wanted to say thank you. You answered all my questions. Best wishes

My question was do I need to follow up with a wormer for larve after wazine. Never used it. Not even sure if I will. Is this correct?
If you use Wazine once, use it again. If you use something else, like Safeguard or Valbazen, the second time, that will treat any new roundworms that hatched, but it will also treat cecal worms and capillary worms, then 10-14 days later, those hatch, and I think that could lead to resistance. Does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom