Worms...AGAIN. Please help...I dont know what I can use now!

Thank you for that. I have upwards of 100 birds, but don't mind single dosing them. I would feel more comfortable with single dosing, as I am unsure with water dosing and feed. I'm relatively new to having chickens (just over a year), so I need a good routine for worming. It's very moist here and based off how last summer went, I know there are worms around! Thank you for your input. I used Valbazen last fall, but I don't feel like right now I can stop selling eggs for a whole month, but want to make sure my birds are in good health.

You have your work cut out for you with 100 chickens. Elanco is the only company I know of that sells Hygromycin to big producers.
http://www.elanco.com/pdfs/hygromix-press-release.pdf
Elanco annoys me since they source Chinese ingredients for their products, and we know what red China has given us in a multitude of products.
sickbyc.gif

Strike III is made by Durvet and Triple Action Multi Wormer is made by Rooster Booster. Where they source their Hygromycin, I don't know. It can be quite costly since it is recommended to feed to birds for the first 50 weeks after being on out on dirt.

I'd prefer to keep grass and brush cut back on range areas to prevent overpopulation of vectors, and maybe adding a little agricultural lime worked into the soil once a year in confined areas ( good to keep birds out of area while amending it into dirt, then watering since it can irritate bird's feet). of course, oyster shell flour is a good lime amendment which won't burn feet. Where it helps change the PH of the soil, eliminating bad bacteria, I don't know how much it prevents the presence of parasitic worm eggs. Sunny areas where well drained dirt can dry out is certainly best (adding sand to clay soils helps). I keep droppings from accumulating in housing, pay attention to condition of droppings, and keep housing dry.

I keep water and feed troughs high enough to prevent soil and fecal matter from being kicked into them. I thoroughly clean out drinkers and feed troughs at the end of each day. I do what I can to prevent wild birds from pilfering feed and water stations.

Last edited:
Thank you, Michael apple! I'll see what I can find. Those other suggestions are great also. My chickens free range so it would be hard to cover everywhere. I need to look up the signs in their poop, because I can't remember. Thanks again!

Thank you, Michael apple! I'll see what I can find. Those other suggestions are great also. My chickens free range so it would be hard to cover everywhere. I need to look up the signs in their poop, because I can't remember. Thanks again!

You're welcome. Mine run a circuit over a large area too. I just keep pasture grass cut close, and scout around for any dead gopher carcasses the cat leaves laying around, and other nasty things I don't want them snacking on. What helps is giving them fresh feed in the troughs before letting them out to range.

I think..well, I can't say what I think because I'd probably be kicked off BYC. Certain posters highjacked OPs thread to be pretend vets and scientists. Notice how OP hasn't been back? Nice. Really nice. Perhaps you should have started your own debate thread.

I think..well, I can't say what I think because I'd probably be kicked off BYC. Certain posters highjacked OPs thread to be pretend vets and scientists. Notice how OP hasn't been back? Nice. Really nice. Perhaps you should have started your own debate thread.
The OP hasn't been back online since 7-2012, so I seriously doubt that *anyone* that's posted recently has anything to do with that.
big_smile.png
Curiously, did you read the whole thread?

-Kathy

Roz hasn't even logged into BYC at all since July 2012, but we appreciate your input. :)

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom