Worms...AGAIN. Please help...I dont know what I can use now!

I am pretty sure that is what a vet prescribed for a NZW doe that I had in quarantine one time. She was FULL of tape worms. I wormed her twice before dead ones quit coming out. Then the vet had me worm her one more time. She also had both ears full of ear mites. We treated them with baby oil. She did turn out to be a super breeder.

Rabbits can also have pyrantel pamoate for round worms, though I would double check with a vet on the dose before giving it.

-Kathy

I am pretty sure that is what a vet prescribed for a NZW doe that I had in quarantine one time. She was FULL of tape worms. I wormed her twice before dead ones quit coming out. Then the vet had me worm her one more time. She also had both ears full of ear mites. We treated them with baby oil. She did turn out to be a super breeder.
I think "Droncit" is what most vets used to prescribe for just tapeworms.

-Kathy

Albendazole for gapeworms:
Quote:
Istvan, Varga; Gyorgy, Banhidi; Zoltan, Szell; Csaba, Balint, 1998: Efficacy of albendazole against Syngamus trachea in experimentally infected turkeys.Magyar Allatorvosok Lapja. 120(6): 336-338, E

Efficacy of albendazole of Syngamus trachea tested in groups of 8 to 9 turkeys experimentally infected with 500 larvae each at the age of 8 days. From day 17after infection, the animals were orally dosed with albendazole at 10, 5 or 2 mg/kg b.w. over 3 to 5 successive days. The efficacy was evaluated by daily inspection ofsymptoms, daily faecal egg counts and worm counts at post mortem on day 24after infection. The efficacy in the treated groups amounted to 100%, 100% and 94%, respectively. Remnants of wormpairs - mainly disintegrating males - were found in several animals of medicated groups as against all alive wormpairs in the control turkeys. The study shows high efficacy of albendazole at reduced dose rate against patent gapeworm disease in turkey.

Quote:
Devada K.; Sathianesan V., 1989: Comparative anthelmintic efficacy of mebendazole thiabendazole and albendazole against syngamus trachea infection in chicken. Kerala Journal Of Veterinary Science. 20(1): 59-64

Three anthelmintics viz., mebendazole, (Gulfic) thiabendazole (MSD) and albendazole (SKF) were tried against Syngamus trachea infection in chicken under experimental conditions. Mebendazole dosed at a rate of 40 mg per kg body weightwas found to be most effective with 96.22 per cent reduction of eggs in the droppings, 88.1 per cent of disappearance of worms in the trachea and 95.52 per cent of weight gain of the treated birds. This was closely followed by albendazole administered at 15 mg per kg body weight, which had an efficacy of 95.14 per cent 76.19 per cent and 95.02 per cent in the respective three parameters. Thiabendazole given at a dose rate of 500 mg per kg body weight showed anefficacy of 89.27, 45.24 per cent and 94.18 perc cent based on the egg counts, worm counts and gain in body weight of the medicated chicks respectively. Thiabendazole was found to be the least effective when compared to the other drugs tried.

--Kathy

Fenbendazole and treatment of roundworms, cecal worms, tapeworms AND GAPEWORMS!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6750887
Efficacy of fenbendazole against helminth parasites of poultry in Uganda.

Ssenyonga GS.
Abstract

Fenbendazole 4% (Panacur, Hoechst) administered in feed was used to treat chickens infected with Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum and Railletina spp. It was also used to treat Syngamus trachea in broiler birds. There was a marked drop in helminth egg counts in the faeces on the second day of treatment and the faeces became negative by the seventh day after the last treatment. Post-mortem examination 15 to 21 days later showed that the drug was 100% effective against Ascaridia galli and Heterakis gallinarum at 10 mg/kg. However, for complete removal of Railletina spp. 15 mg/kg was required. Similarly 20 mg/kg fenbendazole was effective against Syngamus trachea. It was concluded that fenbendazole is suitable for the treatment of the important intestinal and tracheal worms of poultry, a dose of 15 to 20 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days being recommended for use under field conditions.

-Kathy

Albendazole:

http://japr.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/3/392.full
Abstract

In the spring of 2006, 60 naturally infected hens obtained from a broiler-breeder farm in northwest Arkansas were used in a controlled titration study to determine the anthelmintic efficacy of albendazole in the treatment of both nematode and cestode infections. Albendazole was used at the dose rates of 0.0, 5.0, 10.0, and 20.0 mg/kg of BW, with all treatments given individually as an oral suspension on d 0 (split doses) and with necropsies for parasite collection conducted on d 7. There were 15 birds per treatment group. Statistically significant (P < 0.05) reductions in worm burdens from control levels were seen at the 5.0 mg/kg dose level for adult and larval stages of Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum, and Capillaria obsignata. A significant (P < 0.05) reduction in the numbers of Raillietina cesticillus (scolexes) from control group levels was seen only at the 20.0 mg/kg rate of treatment. For albendazole given at the rates of 5.0, 10.0, and 20.0 mg/kg, respective anthelmintic efficacies based on geometric means were 87.7, 91.2, and 98.2% (A. galli larvae); 100.0, 100.0, and 100.0% (A. galli adults); 96.9, 95.7, and 98.9% (H. gallinarumlarvae); 92.7, 95.4, and 94.9% (H. gallinarum adults); 90.3, 91.3, and 95.1% (C. obsignata larvae and adults combined); and 73.1, 73.1, and 96.2% (R. cesticillus). No adverse reactions to albendazole were observed in this study.

Ivermectin is effective against Gapeworms.

Two studies for everyone to read:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9269125
Anthelmintic efficacy of ivermectin against Syngamus trachea and Capillaria spp. in pheasant.

Lamka J1, Svobodová V, Slézková J.
Author information

Abstract

Ivermectin (IVM) was perorally administered in dosage schemes 1 x 0.8 mg/kg of body weight (b.w.), 1 x 1.6 mg/kg h.w., 3 x 0.8 mg/kg b.w., and 3 x 1.6 mg/kg b.w. to pheasants infected by Syngamus trachea and Capillaria spp. The samples of faeces were coprologically examined. The clinical state of pheasant was controlled. In all of the used therapeutical schemes the helminthostatic or partially helminthocide effect against adults of worms was reached. The clinical signs of helmithoses were reduced only. IVM in tested doses is not possible to recommend as an effective drug of pheasant syngamosis and capillariosis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174
Ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic--trials with naturally infected domestic fowl.

Oksanen A, Nikander S.
Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.

-Kathy

So, all these options. Is there a wormer with zero withdrawal time? If not, what do egg sellers do? I live in a wet environment. Thanks!

So, all these options. Is there a wormer with zero withdrawal time? If not, what do egg sellers do? I live in a wet environment. Thanks!

FDA says 2 weeks with Fenbendazole with chickens and none with Turkeys. Makes no sense when Albendazole/Fenbendazole require 4 day withdrawal in other nations. Hygromycin is an anthelmintic feed additive used sometimes by industry which requires no withdrawal time. Rooster Booster and Durvet make a pellet/crumble containing Hygromycin. Most people like myself generally worm before moult and before breeding season when egg production is low anyway. The best thing to do is use what can be direct fed to ensure the correct dose, and what is actually effective. The convenient way isn't always the best way. Since most people here seem to have backyard flocks, administering a tablet or liquid is easy enough for 12-24 birds. It is easy picking each one off the roost at night, or early morning before sunrise, and giving it a dose. I used to do it with over 30 birds and it took less than an hour.

Thank you for that. I have upwards of 100 birds, but don't mind single dosing them. I would feel more comfortable with single dosing, as I am unsure with water dosing and feed. I'm relatively new to having chickens (just over a year), so I need a good routine for worming. It's very moist here and based off how last summer went, I know there are worms around! Thank you for your input. I used Valbazen last fall, but I don't feel like right now I can stop selling eggs for a whole month, but want to make sure my birds are in good health.

Back
Top Bottom