Worms for the first time!

JonnieN

Chirping
Jan 15, 2019
California
Hello,
I'm Jonnie and the mommy of 8 lovely chickens. 5 of my girls are 1yr 5 mo old and the the other 3 are 8 mo old. They are my little loves and are spoiled by both my husband and I.

Over the past few weeks I have noticed an increase in a few of the girls apitetes and then some watery poop. There has been a family emergency that had kept me away from home for 6 days and now there is a lot of watery stuff all over. I have not had to deal with worms before and I honestly don't know what I should do. At this time I can't do it naturally because I have to be at the bedside of my sister. What is a good artificial medication? I feel absolutely horrible giving this to my girls since they have only been feed organic and are free range in our large backyard but I have no choice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much!! Oh, sorry if I mess up this thread! I'm new. Haha

:welcome

Best way to determine if it is worms it to have a fecal test done. Most vet offices can do this and only require you to bring the sample and not the chicken. This will also help best determine which medicine would work best.

Posting pictures (yes of poop :D) will also be helpful in getting feed back. You can also start a new post in the illnesses section to get some more eyes on your situation.

Posting pictures of the chickens and any recent changes to their setup would be useful as well.

Can you think of any symptoms besides diarrhea? Pale combs, fluffed feathers, hunched positions, etc.? Any neighbours that might leave out things that aren't actually edible?

A pinch or two of salt in their water will help them absorb the liquid better, which could help with the dehydration. A teaspoon of baking soda for every half gallon of water may help their stomachs settle.

Good luck.

:welcome

Best way to determine if it is worms it to have a fecal test done. Most vet offices can do this and only require you to bring the sample and not the chicken. This will also help best determine which medicine would work best.

Posting pictures (yes of poop :D) will also be helpful in getting feed back. You can also start a new post in the illnesses section to get some more eyes on your situation.

I'm loving the "Notaneggspurt"!!
I will take a sample to our vet and see what she see's. I'll take one of my girls also that way if it's not worms she might be able to dx the watery poo.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom