Worms. Help.

The lining of the intestines sloughs off occasionally for a number of reasons. It is usually flesh coloured and I occasionally see it from chicks that are 8-10 weeks old and I attribute it to the growing process but it can also be due to worms or coccidiosis or some other intestinal infection causing the gut to become inflamed and then the inner surface to break away. How is the bird acting?

The lining of the intestines sloughs off occasionally for a number of reasons. It is usually flesh coloured and I occasionally see it from chicks that are 8-10 weeks old and I attribute it to the growing process but it can also be due to worms or coccidiosis or some other intestinal infection causing the gut to become inflamed and then the inner surface to break away. How is the bird acting?
She is acting normal. Eats drinks and runs around when out of the run. She is starting to molt now I noticed. But other than that normal.

Just a tip, if it were to be worms, now or in the future, a super easy way to help prevent worms is to get a squash or melon (we use cantaloupe and butternut squash) and feed it to your girls. They love it and a natural chemical in this produce variety paralyses the worms. Although it's probably not worms this time, possibly for the future! :)

Just a tip, if it were to be worms, now or in the future, a super easy way to help prevent worms is to get a squash or melon (we use cantaloupe and butternut squash) and feed it to your girls. They love it and a natural chemical in this produce variety paralyses the worms. Although it's probably not worms this time, possibly for the future! :)
Here's another tip: Just eating cantaloupe, squash, pumpkin etc..will not prevent birds from getting worms. It is the seeds that contain cucurbitin that paralyze worms. Chickens would have to eat a truckload of those seeds in order to be effective in preventing worms, and they would have to be crushed to release the cucurbitin.
Benzimidazoles are best for treating worms :)

Back
Top Bottom