Worms Help!

AshFlock

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2021
Hello,

My chickens just seem to keep having issues and ailments and I don't know why! It doesn't seem like other people have this many issues with their flocks so I don't know if we are doing something wrong.

My chickens all seem totally healthy and fine, except for one who is broody so I am working on breaking her right now. But today when I was hanging out with her in the yard, she pooped and it was literally moving. I guess this means she has worms? I am so confused and surprised because she doesn't seem sick at all and I literally just wormed them at the beginning of May. Does this mean they have worms again? Do I need to deworm them again?

Please respond ASAP with any advice and information you have! Maybe I need to get a different wormer. What would you recommend? I used SafeGuard paste last time. Also, should I have her poop tested by a vet? Maybe I just haven't been treating the right type of worm?

Thanks so much.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a vet to run a fecal to see what kind of worms you're dealing with, since not all dewormers kill all worms. Plus, some worms need the treatment period to last longer.

Chooks in a permanent yard will have reinfection cycles with worms. Worm chooks by giving them a bulb of garlic, 1 chili, a grated carrot,some slippery elm powder, a tsp of seaweed, and any herbs ( just a small sprig) of tansy, comphrey, wormwood, rue, etc. After worming them free range them for a couple of days so they crap out worms elsewhere. Whilst they are gone, scrape yard clean and lime ( calcium carbonate, garden lime) heavily, then deep mulch. Repeat in 2 weeks, removing mulch both times and hot composting it. If in doubt repeat all a third time. After that give the above mix in a monthly in mash. Put apple cider vinegar in their drinker. Home and 'natural' chooks are more about preventing and managing with good treatment than acute drastic measures. Get your chooks and yard on track and then use good measures such as above to stop it happening again. If it is possible set them up up another temp yard with chookwire etc, wait until they've laid in the morning, and then put them in second yard for rest of day, making sure they have shade, shelter, food and water. Good luck.

Hello,

My chickens just seem to keep having issues and ailments and I don't know why! It doesn't seem like other people have this many issues with their flocks so I don't know if we are doing something wrong.

My chickens all seem totally healthy and fine, except for one who is broody so I am working on breaking her right now. But today when I was hanging out with her in the yard, she pooped and it was literally moving. I guess this means she has worms? I am so confused and surprised because she doesn't seem sick at all and I literally just wormed them at the beginning of May. Does this mean they have worms again? Do I need to deworm them again?

Please respond ASAP with any advice and information you have! Maybe I need to get a different wormer. What would you recommend? I used SafeGuard paste last time. Also, should I have her poop tested by a vet? Maybe I just haven't been treating the right type of worm?

Thanks so much.
Thanks for everyone’s replies. I wish I could send the video of the poop but it won’t let me. It just seems odd to me that she isn’t sick at all. Is it possible for them to have worms to the extent of pooping them out, and not be sick?

Thanks for everyone’s replies. I wish I could send the video of the poop but it won’t let me. It just seems odd to me that she isn’t sick at all. Is it possible for them to have worms to the extent of pooping them out, and not be sick?
Can you post the video on Youtube, then copy and paste it on here?

Back
Top Bottom